Lighting questions/opinions

Cameron B

Established Member
Hi, All,

Over the years I have consistently kept a variety of chameleons, but these days I've primarily focused on lateralis and now campani.

I am at a point where I'd like to re-evaluate my lighting setup. My current setups utilize Exo Terra's 18x18x24 enclosures. I have been utilizing Exo Terra's Dual Light Canopy with a ReptiSun 5.0UVB Fluorescent Bulb, as well as a 2.0 Exo Terra Fluorescent Bulb in the second slot. In addition to this, I have a SunGlo heat bulb in the fixture, just as it's made for. This covers the front half of the enclosure.

In the back half of the enclosure I have two dome lights. One is a UV 2.0 CFL bulb, and the other side is just a 25 watt bulb more or less for brightening up the entire enclosure. This has worked fine for me, but I just feel it's time for a change, so here's the big question...

I am currently looking at purchasing the new Sunray Metal Halide Bulb setup. I really haven't found much information on these exact fixtures/bulbs other than metal halide seems to be a pretty good way to go for the future. My biggest concern here is these halide bulbs appear to not really have a big coverage area. This is fine for basking, but I really don't want a single lit basking spot and a darkly shaded enclosure without other lights. So, what is the suggested setup for something like this? Should I continue to use my dual fluorescent setup with the same or different UVB bulbs?

Looking forward to hearing ideas and suggestions. I've already had a read through the various topics here, but I'd like suggestions for this specific setup with the Sunray in use.

As an aside, can I get some opinions on the claims and purpose of the following:

1. Reptile Vision Bulb

2. Natural Light Ion Bulb (Is this truly safe and suggestion?)

Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend them in a small cage as the uv does travel down more than the height of that cage meaning no real uv gradient. I would go with Arcadia T5 bulbs and a separate basking light. Many people including myself will not use the cfl bulbs as there are still eye problems being reported when they are used.

I wouldn't recommend them in a small cage as the uv does travel down more than the height of that cage meaning no real uv gradient.

I think the whole point of the sunray fixture is to gain such a gradient through moving the fixture vertically up or down (this is why it's made this way). You just have to set it up properly.

I would go with Arcadia T5 bulbs and a separate basking light. Many people including myself will not use the cfl bulbs as there are still eye problems being reported when they are used.

Let me be clear that the only CFL I'm using is primarily for light and plants in the back corner of the cage that is rarely frequented by the chameleon. I remember CFL's having major issues in their earlier days, though I believe these have gained a lot more trust over the last couple of years, and I'm definitely not nervous about using them (speaking from my own longterm experience now, and not as the primary light source...still use tubes for that).

Back
Top Bottom