lighting question

craiganthony9

Hi, please help! I have a female Juvenile veiled. I have a Zoo Med 100 Watt Powersun UV as her 12 hour only heat, UV source. I have a digital Therm, and keep her basking area, on one end of the inclosure at a 98 degrees. I have a small fan, that blows, and circulates air through the 20 gallon inclosure. What is your take on this particular bulb? I have heard some bad things.. thanks..

Hi, please help! I have a female Juvenile veiled. I have a Zoo Med 100 Watt Powersun UV as her 12 hour only heat, UV source. I have a digital Therm, and keep her basking area, on one end of the inclosure at a 98 degrees. I have a small fan, that blows, and circulates air through the 20 gallon inclosure. What is your take on this particular bulb? I have heard some bad things.. thanks..

The main concerns with powersun bulbs is that they can produce too much heat for chams (especially juveniles who can dehydrate and burn more easily), and that the level of UV is too intense. They really were designed for desert terrestrial species. I know some keepers use them, but they use care...careful temp monitoring, monitoring the UV output, and not placed too close to the cage. Your temp is too hot for a juvie. Move the lamp farther away. Burns can show up without too much warning and can scar for life.

You should work on a couple items. Drop the temp down it 85 tops, having her in a 20gal tank with a fan blowing to circulate air is asking for health issues. She needs either a screen cage or a terrarium, depending on where you are located. She needs proper lighting. I consider that to be a household blub for heat and a 5.0 uvb, I use the repti sun brand.

What are you feeding her and how do you handle misting?

Yes,the UVB intensity is pretty insane that they put out.
At 18" from the highest point my male can get to it's currently putting out 30 uw/cm2 (vs 15-18 for repti-suns/glo tubes(CF are a bit higher, 18-22 range))
These things are REALLY not to be used without a solar meter (at least on chams).

Back
Top Bottom