Lighting question

Zac

Hello, and thanks for making chameleon forums work :)

I have a quick question. I have a ceramic heating bulb in a is "dimmable" (or in other words you can adjust heat on it) for basking and heat and a 5.0 UVB to recreate the sun. Is that all I need or should I get another regular small watt light bulb? I want a panther Cham and I am going to have a large reptarium (screen cage).

The ceramic bulb says it does not put out light, I didn't realize this when I bought it. :( Will this light even be necessary?

Thanks for you time,
Zac

Unless your temps drop below mid 50's at night, you probably want to try and return it. During the day, use a regular house bulb. And what brand is your uvb bulb, and compact or tube style?

Yep, I don't use the ceramics unless it is really cold at night. Chams like to seek out the sun in the morning to warm up. If you are using the ceramic as a basking light, they will not be able to find their basking spot very well. Chams have great eye sight but won't be able to see heat from a ceramic bulb. A regular house light bulb works fine. If you need more heat, you may need a basking light.

For UVB florescent, you can't go wrong with a reptisun. Use a reptisun 5.0 for small-medium cages. Use reptisun 10.0 for large cages. Don't forget to hook them up to timers, unless you want to wake up every morning to turn the lights on.

Thank you! The UVB is a reptisun compact model. I am planning on getting a different bulb to put in the clamp lamp and getting a 10.0 UVB. Yep, I'm going to pick up a power strip timer today :). Thanks for the advice!

Its best your heat source outputs bright light where possible, chameleons being arborial dont make use of sunwarmed surfaces, and rely on the only other source of heat (sunlight)
If you require heat at night, ceramics are one choice, 'purple moon' type heat bulbs are another, although they do output some light its very dim.
Personally my recommendation is for the purple bulb type if possible, since if its cool enough at night you need heat, the bulb will provide a better penetrating radient heat than ceramics (IMHO) since ceramics get very hot themselves but heat rises and most is lost to the surrounding air. The bulbs by comparison are often reflective types and 'focus' the heat directly downwards more efficiently, meaning it will reach your sleeping lizard. :)

You might want to try a 40w incandescent bulb or a 13w Fluorescent (these are the ones I safely use, the brand I use are Phillips) , these should do it. Before letting the cham get close, put your hand below and see is not burning hot, has to be just slightly warm. I have mine about 8 inches from the basking branch to the bulb.

Thank you! The UVB is a reptisun compact model. I am planning on getting a different bulb to put in the clamp lamp and getting a 10.0 UVB. Yep, I'm going to pick up a power strip timer today :). Thanks for the advice!

the 10.0 may be a little to much depending on your setup, also you mentioned a compact bulb most member reccomend the linear style bulbs.

ceramic heaters are used as heaters during the night... basking 'heat' should be provided by visible light from a normal household light bulb... UVB should come from a Zoo Med ReptiSun lamp. Zoo Med makes one of the best lamps. Exo Terra would be the next step.

I also use a 6500K color temp lamp along side my UVB lamps to increase light and to keep the plants alive.

Ok great advice everybody! :) I went and bought a deep dome lamp fixture from zoo med for the 40-50watt ( according to what I've read) house bulb and I now have a 10.0 zoomed UVB too. The reptarium I'm going to end with is 29x29x48 so I figured the 10 UVB is necessary and I have the ability to dim the 10.0 or add a 5.0 on the side in a different area. I didn't read that the compact bulbs are not recommend until after I purchased everything, but I still have a while before the Cham is old enough for me to take in ,so I have time to make everything perfect.

Back
Top Bottom