Lighting Question

The Wild One

Chameleon Enthusiast
So recently (kind of) I was told that the light I had was completely wrong, I went out and bought T5 HO bulb instead. Do I need any other bulb or is that good by itself? (I still have the dome sitting under her cage)

So recently (kind of) I was told that the light I had was completely wrong, I went out and bought T5 HO bulb instead. Do I need any other bulb or is that good by itself? (I still have the dome sitting under her cage)
So you have a UVB bulb in your T5HO fixture, correct? (don't forget to replace bulb every 6-9 months--they stop producing enough UVB even though they still output visible light)

Do you have a basking fixture/bulb?

Do you have any live plants? If so, grow lights are a good idea. I have both 6500k linear daylight bulbs and Sansi 15 watt spot lights on my plants.

T5 HO is the most recommended, but are you talking about UVB? You may also need one for plants (T5 HO 6500k will do here) and basking bulb as well (dome fixture will come in handy here).

So you have a UVB bulb in your T5HO fixture, correct? (don't forget to replace bulb every 6-9 months--they stop producing enough UVB even though they still output visible light)

Do you have a basking fixture/bulb?

Do you have any live plants? If so, grow lights are a good idea. I have both 6500k linear daylight bulbs and Sansi 15 watt spot lights on my plants.
I have a pothos at the bottom of her cage, her cage is right next to the window so it should get some light, I’m thinking about moving it outside for a outdoor free range.

I’m still really new at this but does the basking bulb to the same thing as the T5 HO?

No, the basking bulb, usually an incandescent household type, created a warmer spot for the animal to warm up and can also help aid digestion. It should be measured carefully to avoid thermal burns.

The basic lights for an enclosure are...

UVB - needs to be provided for chameleons that do not have exposure to natural sunlight. Light through glass will not work as it filters out the UVB.

Plant light - allows live plants to do well in enclosures by providing the required spectrum of light (generally 6500k will do.)

Basking - provides a hot spot for animal to regulate its inner temperature.

Ok I made the mistake of a buying the chameleon kit, and this site helped me. Do you know if the kit came with a basking bulb? I’m on vacation right now but I will check when I get home

I’m not saying this in a bad way but is it crucial?

Probably. You want the ambient temp in the enclosure in the recommended range for the type of chameleon and a basking site to provide what they would have in nature. It allows for a more realistic experience.

Ok I made the mistake of a buying the chameleon kit, and this site helped me. Do you know if the kit came with a basking bulb? I’m on vacation right now but I will check when I get home

Not sure, but if it came with a blue or red bulb it won’t do.

This is what I had before

Back
Top Bottom