Lighting prot5 12%

Phsycoticfly

Hello I have a 40 tall by 30 horizontal by 17 deep enclosure with a prot5 12% on it can I set it on top of the enclosure with the original mesh and an added piece of mesh under the uvb or is it still to powerful I have made risers for it if it's to powerful some input would be nice

The first photo is without risers
Second with risers

Attachments

• received_409338233438190.jpeg
    received_409338233438190.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20201126_110138_047.jpg
    IMG_20201126_110138_047.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 71
You really need a UV meter (e.g. Solarmeter 6.5*) to know for sure; everything else is just SWAG.
Do you know any other herp keepers that might have one you could borrow to set it up?

Or just get a 5.0 or 6% replacement bulb.

You really need a UV meter (e.g. Solarmeter 6.5*) to know for sure; everything else is just SWAG.
Do you know any other herp keepers that might have one you could borrow to set it up?

I think I'm just going to go get a 6% bulb to make my life easier but from that photo it says 2 inches on top with a 12% and it looks like 2 on the inside

So about 2 inches on top of mesh and 2 inches on bottom from what that graph is saying right
Your looking at the wrong fixture on that graph.... Look all the way to the right to the single bulb T5HO fixture and the 12%.

A 12% T5HO is much too strong in a single bulb fixture. You want a 5.0 or a 6% in a single bulb fixture. With a 6% there are two ways to do it.

Option 1. Fixture directly on the screen top and then the closest basking branch below it would be 9 inches down from the screen top.

Option 2. Fixture raised 4 inches and then the closest basking branch below it would be 5 inches down from the top screen.

Personally I would not use a 12% Your losing your heat output by having to raise it so far away for it to be a safe UVI level.

Remove the additional mesh as well. You are now reducing the UVI level far too much. There is a 40% loss of UVI just through 1 layer of mesh.

Your looking at the wrong fixture on that graph.... Look all the way to the right to the single bulb T5HO fixture and the 12%.

A 12% T5HO is much too strong in a single bulb fixture. You want a 5.0 or a 6% in a single bulb fixture. With a 6% there are two ways to do it.

Option 1. Fixture directly on the screen top and then the closest basking branch below it would be 9 inches down from the screen top.

Option 2. Fixture raised 4 inches and then the closest basking branch below it would be 5 inches down from the top screen.

Personally I would not use a 12% Your losing your heat output by having to raise it so far away for it to be a safe UVI level.

Remove the additional mesh as well. You are now reducing the UVI level far too much. There is a 40% loss of UVI just through 1 layer of mesh.
Yeah I was planning on getting the 6% bulb but until then I have to find the best way to use this one for the weekend

The solarmeter is worth the cost in the long run.
I had a bulb, MegaRay, good bulb but this one when tested was barely putting out any uvb. With out a tester my Cham would have had no uvb for a few months

Yeah I was planning on getting the 6% bulb but until then I have to find the best way to use this one for the weekend
That is easy you just look at the right side of that chart.... But with a 12% you would raise it 7 inches from the top of the enclosure then basking level would be 5 inches below it from the screen. Remove the extra screen you put there.

That is easy you just look at the right side of that chart.... But with a 12% you would raise it 7 inches from the top of the enclosure then basking level would be 5 inches below it from the screen. Remove the extra screen you put there.
Yeah that's what I did

Attachments

• IMG_20201126_162101_520.jpg
    IMG_20201126_162101_520.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 65
Here's the other chart I forgot to attach. This one may be easier to read as most will have their chameleon 6" below the top of the cage.

Attachments

• 20201031_205054.jpg
    20201031_205054.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 62
Back
Top Bottom