Lighting help

hey all!
In my research, I'm getting a lot if conflicting information about the type of light to use for my cham.

I'll first start by saying that I live in California, and she spends a large majority of her time in an open range window and gets about 5-6 hours of natural sunrays through the mesh window.

Currently, I have a t8 fixture in the window.

I have read t7 is what i need.
I have read t5ho with 6% desert bulb works well.
I have been told to get a t5ho 12% desert bulb.

But chameleons are tropical? Should the bulb be as well?

Please do not discuss the rest of the area as I'm currently cleaning the window area so the picture doesn't reflect all the vines and plants and fun chameleon stuff. My concern is only the lighting.

Attachments

• 20200628_124214.jpg
    20200628_124214.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 64
Hmm, 10's of hours of natty light through a screen...

Ill throw this out, dont buy a reptile bulb. Buy a 6.5 solarmeter. If the little darling is getting 1.5 UVI or higher, you dont need a reptile bulb. Instead you can spend your money on some full spectrum grow leds, and some basking bulbs, to brighten the area.

Else the default formula is a T5HO that runs the length of the cage/area, and use a 6%/5.0 strength, unless you have a meter.

They dont make a T7...

A T8 is only good for "tank lizards" since they do not put out much uvb past 6", great for a 12-18" tall tank, not so good for a 3-4ft tall chameleon cage

Hmm, 10's of hours of natty light through a screen...

Ill throw this out, dont buy a reptile bulb. Buy a 6.5 solarmeter. If the little darling is getting 1.5 UVI or higher, you dont need a reptile bulb. Instead you can spend your money on some full spectrum grow leds, and some basking bulbs, to brighten the area.

Else the default formula is a T5HO that runs the length of the cage/area, and use a 6%/5.0 strength, unless you have a meter.

They dont make a T7...

A T8 is only good for "tank lizards" since they do not put out much uvb past 6", great for a 12-18" tall tank, not so good for a 3-4ft tall chameleon cage
That was very insightful! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom