Lighting help required please!

I have a T5 HO 5.0 strip florescent ZOOMED 24" on each of my chameleon enclosures along with drippers, heat lamps, mist king heads, etc.
Not much extra room!
But I want an additional 6500k light for plants and extra light in general. The cages are pretty dim.
Can I use these and just replace one tube with a T5 HO 5.0 or 10.0?

https://www.amazon.com/DuroLux-DL822N-Fluorescent-Lighting-Reflector/dp/B0721TG86M/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?keywords=24"+6500k&qid=1640208280&rnid=2470954011&sr=8-12#
I like and use the Sansi lights too. They are super bright and do very well with even the most light-hungry plants. If you use the one you’ve got linked, keep in mind that it seems to have only one reflector and if you put a uvb in one side, you’ll need to use a 10.0 bulb.

It will be mostly just for extra light.
My T5 HO 5.0s and single 40 watt floods don't make it "daytime" bright enough in my opinion. And 40 watt floods are perfect for my basking areas.
My plants are Pothos. I'm convinced that they'd grow in a closet! But I figure the 6500k wouldn't hurt. And I DO have fresh. New 10.0 tubes to go into them. In fact. That's why I'm redoing the lights. My 6.5 UVB meter shows that my old 5.0 are down to around a 1.7.
My Chameleons are all now several years old and thriving.
I'm just trying to make their experience as good as I can.
Thank you. I've ordered 3 of those units. They're cheap enough that I won't lose any sleep over them not working out. But I think they'll do what I need them to do.
I just wasn't sure about my TO UVB tubes working in those fixtures

Last edited:
I’m having a bit of a dilemma , i’d like to use four bulbs on my new enclosure , three plant lights and one UVB enclosures 53 wide by 24 deep but I can’t seem to find a 48 inch UVB replacement bulb , reptile basics has a kit but not the bulb by itself . Anyone got an idea of how to use more than one bulb and add a UVB ? This is the unit I would like to use can I throw three grow lights in this and the Acadia UVB ?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019IMM7VK?ref=em_1p_2_im&ref_=pe_27542660_619125720

And where can I find a 4 foot bulb by itself not a kit ?? I’ve literally been searching for three days ..

Thoughts ?

I’m having a bit of a dilemma , i’d like to use four bulbs on my new enclosure , three plant lights and one UVB enclosures 53 wide by 24 deep but I can’t seem to find a 48 inch UVB replacement bulb , reptile basics has a kit but not the bulb by itself .
Yes they do. https://www.reptilebasics.com/arcadia-forest-6-uvb/arcadia-d3-6-uvb-t5-bulb-22/

Anyone got an idea of how to use more than one bulb and add a UVB ? This is the unit I would like to use can I throw three grow lights in this and the Acadia UVB ?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019IMM7VK?ref=em_1p_2_im&ref_=pe_27542660_619125720

And where can I find a 4 foot bulb by itself not a kit ?? I’ve literally been searching for three days ..

Thoughts ?
I wouldn't do it that way. I'd stick with a single Shenzen 48" T5 fixture for the UVB, and a couple of 70W Sansi plant lights.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/simple-uvb-fixture-supports.177896/#post-1692470

Last edited:
Yep that’s what I was having the issue with it says it’s a 46 not 8 that fits in a 48 inch fixture ? I have a crap load of those T5 plant Bulbs from a tenant who left them I’m sure you can guess what he was doing so I would not be out of them for a long time that’s why I wanna go that route , not sure why they would call it a 46 when it’s a 48 fixture I guess that’s what was confusing me

Thoughts ?
Do you have a Solarmeter or equiv.?

The reason I ask is that the "ballpark" distances from bulb to basking site are based on Shenzen-type reflectors (which have issues of their own). Other reflectors may not have the same reflectivity, so distance may have to be adjusted.

Yep that’s what I was having the issue with it says it’s a 46 not 8 that fits in a 48 inch fixture ? I have a crap load of those T5 plant Bulbs from a tenant who left them I’m sure you can guess what he was doing so I would not be out of them for a long time that’s why I wanna go that route , not sure why they would call it a 46 when it’s a 48 fixture I guess that’s what was confusing me
Yeah, it's pretty universal with T5 linear bulbs. They're all (IIRC) 2" shorter than the nominal fixture length.

Now I understand your reasoning though; we still have a supply of 48" T12 shop lights we're going through...

I might still use a single Shenzen style fixture for the UVB (where distance is more critical) and use 4 of your plant lights in the quad fixture. That way (if you don't have a meter) you can get the UVB in the ballpark, and plant light distance isn't critical.

Last edited:

The reason I ask is that the "ballpark" distances from bulb to basking site are based on Shenzen-type reflectors (which have issues of their own). Other reflectors may not have the same reflectivity, so distance may have to be adjusted.

Yeah, it's pretty universal with T5 linear bulbs. They're all (IIRC) 2" shorter than the nominal fixture length.

I don’t not as of yet (light meter) . I would if they weren’t so expensive . OK I’m gonna take your word on that , I have two of those hoods already and tons of bulbs like I said . So I’ll try and order that 46 hopefully it will Work ,

Now I understand your reasoning though; we still have a supply of 48" T12 shop lights we're going through...

I might still use a single Shenzen style fixture for the UVB (where distance is more critical) and use 4 of your plant lights in the quad fixture. That way (if you don't have a meter) you can get the UVB in the ballpark, and plant light distance isn't critical.

Back
Top Bottom