Lighting for a Veiled Chameleon

erinnspence

I am looking to buy a baby veiled chameleon and am unsure of the certain lights that are needed to keep the temperature at the right level. I know that I need a heating light and a UBV light, but are there any others that I should buy also?

Hello and Welcome to the Forums!! You will need a basking light. A regular incandescent light bulb of 75 watts will do the trick while he is a baby. I suggest getting a thermometer for your enclosure to make sure that your basking temp is on point. You will need a UVB bulb for sure...hopefully a linear fluorescent and you will also need a grow light because I know that you are planning on stuffing that enclosure with loads of live plants for the new addition. If you go the Sponsors Page on the home page of the Forum, you will find a company called Light Your Reptiles. Todd has everything that you will need as far as lighting is concerned on his sight. Here is a link that can give you great information as well. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/lighting/

Its going to depend on the size of your enclosure. You stated that you wanted a baby veiled chameleon. You don't want a basking temp that exceeds 82-84 degrees until he is around 8-9 months old. So, I'm not sure how big the enclosure will be, but a 100watt bulb may be too much for a young veiled chameleon. Can you post a pic of the light you got in the starter kit?

This is the light set that I bought in the kit. Also, the enclosure is 16" L x 16" W x 30" H.

And the chameleon i have been looking at to buy Is 3 months old. Is he still considered a baby?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 662
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 282
Sorry to jump on your post but I'm hoping someone can help me. I recently bought a baby veiled also with a setup. I got a double canopy to go on it with lights already in it, buf I'm not sure which is heat and which is uv. One bulb is similar to a household bulb but has a really wide end and the other is a coil. I cant post photos for some reason. Does anybody know which is which?

Thankyou, it really confused me as the household looking one has a slight blue glow at the baase of the bulb. Thanks

That light blue light bulb is called zoo med daylight blue reptile bulb,it belong to zoo med chameleon kit.you can just use a regular house light bulb for the same purpose.

I am looking to buy a baby veiled chameleon and am unsure of the certain lights that are needed to keep the temperature at the right level. I know that I need a heating light and a UBV light, but are there any others that I should buy also?
When I got mine I was told that i only needed a heat/basking and a uvb so you should be good

Hello and Welcome to the Forums!! You will need a basking light. A regular incandescent light bulb of 75 watts will do the trick while he is a baby. I suggest getting a thermometer for your enclosure to make sure that your basking temp is on point. You will need a UVB bulb for sure...hopefully a linear fluorescent and you will also need a grow light because I know that you are planning on stuffing that enclosure with loads of live plants for the new addition. If you go the Sponsors Page on the home page of the Forum, you will find a company called Light Your Reptiles. Todd has everything that you will need as far as lighting is concerned on his sight. Here is a link that can give you great information as well. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/lighting/

Thanks .. yes I am happy to help get people set up with GOOD LIGHT!

Folks can e-mail me... (better than PM because I usually see it quicker) with any questions.

I do sell Arcadia lighting because it is a REAL GOOD CHOICE.

And even though the bulbs cost a little bit more... Arcadia bulbs last a full year easy, so the cost is not any more.

And have 30 UV A out-put for Chameleon vision as well as the UVB rays, too.

Thank you and Happy New Year!
Todd
www.lightyourreptiles.com

Thank you and Happy New Year!
lyr me3 astonished.jpg

Back
Top Bottom