Lighting a bigger cage, Hot And Humid

Thatwizard420

Chameleon Enthusiast
I’m almost done with my 4x4x5 cage, I was wondering, will my repti sun 24 inch 5.0 T5HO do the job? Do I need to upgrade? If so, to the 10.0 Bulb? Imma be running grow lights on a dual dome for the plants. Also, it’s been really hot Here in Tucson for the past Month, AC not cutting it, gets way too hot, he’s never under his basking light so I turn it off, he mostly stays in the shade. Can I put a fan so there’s running air since I have a bio active enclosure and my enclosure tends to be like at 50-70% humidity during the day depending on when I mist. Will the fan “dry” my Chameleon’s skin?

https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Agrobrite-FLT48-Fluorescent-System/dp/B005H1C7NA

4 tube, 4ft (well really 42")

get 2 6% or 5.0 UVB bulbs, and put them on the outside slots, use the 2 inside slots for the normal 6500k bulbs.

As for heat, they dont need to bask/UVB during mid day. On hot days i just use ambient light, and turn off the basking/florescent from 11-1pm or when air temps start going above 85F.

A fan isnt going to help, Mr cham is going to be air temp, unless room temp is drastically lower, you will just be cerculating hot air. They dont "sweat" or cool down with wind. What ever the wind is, they will be.

https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Agrobrite-FLT48-Fluorescent-System/dp/B005H1C7NA

4 tube, 4ft (well really 42")

get 2 6% or 5.0 UVB bulbs, and put them on the outside slots, use the 2 inside slots for the normal 6500k bulbs.

As for heat, they dont need to bask/UVB during mid day. On hot days i just use ambient light, and turn off the basking/florescent from 11-1pm or when air temps start going above 85F.

A fan isnt going to help, Mr cham is going to be air temp, unless room temp is drastically lower, you will just be cerculating hot air. They dont "sweat" or cool down with wind. What ever the wind is, they will be.
Like inside of my house gets to about 100, nothing we can do about it. Monsoon is right around the corner though... So with that fixture, leave the 2 inside bulbs with the ones it comes with?

Like inside of my house gets to about 100, nothing we can do about it. Monsoon is right around the corner though... So with that fixture, leave the 2 inside bulbs with the ones it comes with?

Yes, and then when they burn out in a few years, you will have a replacement set ready to go if you remember where you put them :)

Dont know what to do about air temps other than keep the cham hydrated and mist often so they get some evaporation. They can do some cooling just by breathing.

I’m almost done with my 4x4x5 cage, I was wondering, will my repti sun 24 inch 5.0 T5HO do the job? Do I need to upgrade? If so, to the 10.0 Bulb? Imma be running grow lights on a dual dome for the plants. Also, it’s been really hot Here in Tucson for the past Month, AC not cutting it, gets way too hot, he’s never under his basking light so I turn it off, he mostly stays in the shade. Can I put a fan so there’s running air since I have a bio active enclosure and my enclosure tends to be like at 50-70% humidity during the day depending on when I mist. Will the fan “dry” my Chameleon’s skin?

Ya your going to need more. I would get 2 sperate T5HO fixtures and like Night said, 1 6% in each and on the side of the cage.

I would not, even bother attempting to put Flos in there. Go straight to LEDs. I just made a blog about an easy DIY LED I would go with "Layout 2" as a minium. If you want I can get you a parts list for something more suitable of a 4x4 as well.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/the-ez-bright-cost-difficulty.2405/

You can get almost double those lumens with half the wattage. And I don't think 20k is enough for a cage that big. I'm pushing 40k in a cage half that size, depends what you want to grow though.

Last edited:
Ya your going to need more. I would get 2 sperate T5HO fixtures and like Night said, 1 6% in each and on the side of the cage.

I would not, even bother attempting to put Flos in there. Go straight to LEDs. I just made a blog about an easy DIY LED I would go with "Layout 2" as a minium. If you want I can get you a parts list for something more suitable of a 4x4 as well.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/the-ez-bright-cost-difficulty.2405/

You can get almost double those lumens with half the wattage. And I don't think 20k is enough for a cage that big. I'm pushing 40k in a cage half that size, depends what you want to grow though.
Photos, hibiscus, Aralia, Carnivorous plants, dracnea, ficus etc

CPs in ground or on the walls? Your definitely going to need serious lights for CPs 5ft down.

I'd go 40k lumens at least. If not 60-80.
Any links to what I need? What’s CP?
Also, eventually I want to fill his whole enclosure with plants, still looking at soMe... That cage will be his home till he perishes... Than I’m planning on remodeling a whole room to be his kids home

Any links to what I need? What’s CP?
Also, eventually I want to fill his whole enclosure with plants, still looking at soMe... That cage will be his home till he perishes... Than I’m planning on remodeling a whole room to be his kids home

CPs are Carnivorous Plants.

So I would go with the 4 cob build, in my blog post I linked ya. At the very least. An 8 cob build (double everything for the 4 cob) would be better, but your pushing big money there.

The upfront cost with what Night linked is cheaper, but those fixtures don't last very long nevermind the bulbs. Also, that's almost double the wattage for 8 T5s. That's 400ws vs 200.

So at 12h cycle, it would cost me about 10 dollars per month for the LEDs. 20 for the Flos, so you are saving 120 a year for the LEDs. The upfront cost, is a little less than double, with no reccuring maintenance, and at a savings of 120 a year, the upfront cost difference will pay for itself in a year, year and a half. From electricity alone standpoint, and in that time you would have had to change bulbs 3 times.

CPs are Carnivorous Plants.

So I would go with the 4 cob build, in my blog post I linked ya. At the very least. An 8 cob build (double everything for the 4 cob) would be better, but your pushing big money there.

The upfront cost with what Night linked is cheaper, but those fixtures don't last very long nevermind the bulbs. Also, that's almost double the wattage for 8 T5s. That's 400ws vs 200.

So at 12h cycle, it would cost me about 10 dollars per month for the LEDs. 20 for the Flos, so you are saving 120 a year for the LEDs. The upfront cost, is a little less than double, with no reccuring maintenance, and at a savings of 120 a year, the upfront cost difference will pay for itself in a year, year and a half. From electricity alone standpoint, and in that time you would have had to change bulbs 3 times.
I have solar panels.... AZ bruh.... Thanks a lot,l bruh

Back
Top Bottom