Light green patches

Hello, i’ve posted on here a few times before. I have a female veiled chameleon, I noticed her behavior is a bit different probably since she will be laying eggs for the second time. This morning she seemed fine to me, but i had just refixed her cage and didn’t realize i put her basking spot too close to the light. She was basking all morning and around the afternoon her side looked weird. She was dark green with a random light green blotch on her side. I have a feeling this is from her uvb light but i’m not sure if i should be too worried. I turned off the lights for a bit and it seems to look a tiny bit better but i’m not sure, this is what she looks like... (she has this on both sides btw)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 124
I have the same plants but I hung them on the outside of my enclosure to give privacy. Especially with her being gravid, that is important.

Hello! I'm not sure, but I recommend removing the fake plants from the enclosure. Veiled chameleons eat plants, so there is a big risk with having fake plants
@MissSkittles Do you know what these dots are?
oh she actually doesn’t eat them, i even had a live plant in there at one time (it was on the safe list) and she wouldn’t at that either😅

I have the same plants but I hung them on the outside of my enclosure to give privacy. Especially with her being gravid, that is important.
Yea i put them around her lay bin to give her more privacy, it’s a fairly big vine, but she loves to climb on it, but i will definitely be giving her more privacy when she lays!

Looks like a thermal burn... How close can she get to her lights? Can you take a picture of the entire cage including the lighting on top so I can see your placement?

FYI fake plants are high risk... Veileds are weird about eating stuff. Out of no where it can start and if your using fake then they pose a major impaction risk.

I’m not certain, but that may be a thermal burn. Definitely keep an eye on it and if any scabbing or other changes, you would want to take her to a vet for treatment.
yea i had a feeling, i’m glad it’s not too big and it’s getting a little smaller, but i turned off her uvb for now and moved her basking spot. I just wanted to know if this is life threatening to her and if i should be majorly concerned for her.

Looks like a thermal burn... How close can she get to her lights? Can you take a picture of the entire cage including the lighting on top so I can see your placement?

FYI fake plants are high risk... Veileds are weird about eating stuff. Out of no where it can start and if your using fake then they pose a major impaction risk.
hello! i definitely put her branch up too close, i moved it so it’s now around maybe 8 inches away? also i have been told about this risk but she never eats them, she also didn’t eat the leaves from the live plant either. I’ve had her for since may of last year and she has never tried to eat it. also i will upload a picture

hello! i definitely put her branch up too close, i moved it so it’s now around maybe 8 inches away? also i have been told about this risk but she never eats them, she also didn’t eat the leaves from the live plant either. I’ve had her for since may of last year and she has never tried to eat it. also i will upload a picture
Which was she under UVB or Heat... What are you using for UVB fixture type and bulb strength?

yea i had a feeling, i’m glad it’s not too big and it’s getting a little smaller, but i turned off her uvb for now and moved her basking spot. I just wanted to know if this is life threatening to her and if i should be majorly concerned for her.
Burns can be funny things. They may look like nothing much at first but then can show how truly nasty they are. If it scabs or opens, she’ll need silver sulfadiazine cream from a vet and possibly further treatment, depending on severity. She needs her uvb and basking lights, but they need to be at least 8-9” from where the top of her back sits.
Btw, I agree about the fake plants. It only takes one nibble and you have an impacted chameleon. My girls go to town on their plants, especially when gravid. Better safe than sorry.

also her cage looks a little weird right now since i’m trying to set up vines ina way where she has some type of privacy around the lay bin, let me know if i need to fix it please. and she was under the uvb bulb, it’s a 25 watt colored bulb i believe? and this is what her cage looks like

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 95
Sadly, there is a lot wrong, including the wrong lights, fake plants, and fake vines and not enough privacy. Could you fill out the ask for help form in as much detail as possible, please?

Copy & paste with your answers.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

what lights do you recommend? and also what do you recommend for better privacy. i know i feed her right (came into chameleon forums and was gives help with that), she gets calcium supplements on her food, her humidity seems to be good, but i need help with the enclosure and the lights :/

also her cage looks a little weird right now since i’m trying to set up vines ina way where she has some type of privacy around the lay bin, let me know if i need to fix it please. and she was under the uvb bulb, it’s a 25 watt colored bulb i believe? and this is what her cage looks like
Yeah hun the UVB is the incorrect type. High risk for issues with this one. Fill out the form and someone will give you complete feedback. :)

these lights were recommended to me, and sure!
You need a T5 HO linear light fixture either the length of your enclosure or a foot longer with either an Arcadia 6% or Zoo Med 5.0 strength linear UVB of the matching size. Replace Arcadia bulbs yearly and Zoo Med bulbs every six months if you don’t have a Solarmeter 6.5. Definitely get a Solarmeter 6.5 if you can afford it, it’ll give you precise UVI readings, tell you if a bulb is defective, and let you know when to replace a bulb (when the readings are cut in half)! Make sure the UVB linear bulb is at the correct distance from her top basking branch!
what lights do you recommend? and also what do you recommend for better privacy. i know i feed her right (came into chameleon forums and was gives help with that), she gets calcium supplements on her food, her humidity seems to be good, but i need help with the enclosure and the lights :/
Put all of her fake plants on the outside of her enclosure to add more privacy for her. Get TONS of live chameleon-safe plants to put in ASAP. Make sure they are properly cleaned off beforehand and all the pots have rocks too big for her to eat covering the soil. Filling out the husbandry form will help tons, too!

Back
Top Bottom