Light confusion

Eshelton3

So Im thinking of getting new fixture which is a Zoo Med Reptisun okay here is where I’m confused it says it holds a T8 Reptisun 5.0 UVB light. So is this not right? Here is the bulb it says it has? Help! 😂 I’m new to this.
D209357A-6155-43D1-BAEE-023D26108361.jpeg

Depends on what size your linear lamp is. T5 is smaller that T8 so either it fits or it doesn't. Both will work but there is newer technology in T5 and that is what is recommended.

Ok so you have T8 fixtures and they take T8 bulbs. Then you have T5HO fixtures and they take T5 bulbs. You can not put T5 into a T8 and vice versa.

T5HO has a deeper penetration. Meaning you can use a 5.0 bulb in a single bulb fixture and have a distance of about 8-9 inches to basking...

With a T8 single bulb fixture you have to use a 10.0 bulb because it does not penetrate as far into the cage. Then your distance to basking is going to sit somewhere between 5-7 inches away.

I prefer T5 fixtures because they also are brighter. But also because I can have the distance farther away.

Last edited:
I thank you all so much for this help I really appreciate it. It’s kind of confusing at first lol. Well for right now I’m kind of stuck with this so it’s a T8 so from my understanding I will need a 10 UVB with it.

I thank you all so much for this help I really appreciate it. It’s kind of confusing at first lol. Well for right now I’m kind of stuck with this so it’s a T8 so from my understanding I will need a 10 UVB with it.
If you MUST go with the T8, then yes, use a 10.0 bulb. If you don't mind me asking, where are you located? I have a Reptisun T5HO fixture that I am no longer using. I would be happy to pass it along to help out a fellow cham owner.

If you MUST go with the T8, then yes, use a 10.0 bulb. If you don't mind me asking, where are you located? I have a Reptisun T5HO fixture that I am no longer using. I would be happy to pass it along to help out a fellow cham owner.
Virginia Beach, VA

JUST BE careful. I have seen less than honerable that don't really say T8 but they are. Make sure the package says T5

I wouldn't bother with a Reptisun fixture.
Most of the T5 UVB fixtures sold today are from the same factory in China.
All made by Shenzen Sunlight Lighting Co. (OEM) and all are virtually identical.

1618240919804.png

• Arcadia Pro T5
  • Biodude T5HO
  • Carolina Custom Cages T5HO
  • Hydrofarm "Jumpstart"
  • Sunblaster T5HO Nanotech
  • Vivarium T5
  • and Others
So shop for price.

Back
Top Bottom