light bright?

Silkyslim

So I was just chillin here at the computer and I looked up to see Samson in his basking spot (it now reads 86.7 from 40W inc. bulb 8" from top) Anyways he had a really good angle on the basking light so much so that his right eye was directly pointed towards the basking light and I stood up and I saw that his right eye was closed! His left eye, the one out of the light was opened and checking out my approach.

Now I know this isn't a good sign generally, I actually already have a vet check up scheduled for Samson in 6 days so I'll find out if there truly is anything wrong with him. I can also say that the angle Samson had on his light would have centered this closed eye right on the light and who likes to stare at lightbulbs when trying to relax? He did look very relaxed too, he got pretty mad when I disturbed his bask and let me know it lol.

Although the turreted eye of a cold blooded chameleon could expend energy looking away from the light wouldn't it stand to reason that since the main goal in basking is to conserve and gain energy that it would be more beneficial to close the eye that is being bothered?

Now since I started this post the mister has kicked in and drove him from his perch (he hates the mister) he is now back on his bask perch, both eyes open as content as could be.

If that is the case then I am pretty sure he had his eyes closed praying that the Bears somehow beat Seattle so The Pack can roll up on them and he can get some free hornworms!!!

Nope, I'm only interested in the billing address. :)

But seriously, I was kinda hoping someone could have provided me with some hypothesis or scientific, philosophical incite as to my reasoning.

But seriously, I was kinda hoping someone could have provided me with some hypothesis or scientific, philosophical incite as to my reasoning.

lol on the billing address! As far as the other thing, I guess what you say makes sense but I have never seen my cham basking with either of his eyes closed!

ironically, i've been wondering the same thing (or similar at least) about one of my girls... i've got an ambanja girl that's about 11 mos old...and i've taken her to the vet to have her checked out because she was lethargic and not really eating much and laying around with her eyes closed....all bad signs....he gave me some vitamin a injections, which i used...and some cream for her left eye specifically since that seemed to be the worst one... it's been several weeks now and even though i've seen her eating and walking about the cage and she moves and responds and such, but i still catch her with her eyes closed at various times.....so i don't know if she's just a lazy cham.... (is there such a thing? lol) or what the deal is....

ironically, i've been wondering the same thing (or similar at least) about one of my girls... i've got an ambanja girl that's about 11 mos old...and i've taken her to the vet to have her checked out because she was lethargic and not really eating much and laying around with her eyes closed....all bad signs....he gave me some vitamin a injections, which i used...and some cream for her left eye specifically since that seemed to be the worst one... it's been several weeks now and even though i've seen her eating and walking about the cage and she moves and responds and such, but i still catch her with her eyes closed at various times.....so i don't know if she's just a lazy cham.... (is there such a thing? lol) or what the deal is....

do you take your cham outside for natural sunlight often? I see you are in California,

occasionally

do you take your cham outside for natural sunlight often? I see you are in California,

a few of my boys have been out on a patio tree during cleanings and i've had the girls outside in their cages for cleanings....she's only been out with me once so far, with all of the holidays and everything i haven't been home as much or it's been limited times that i'm home during the day when they could go out...

Back
Top Bottom