Life in my greenhouse...may be graphic to some. WARNING

Neat video! Watching larger chameleons hunt vertebrates is always something to watch. My Furcifer oustaleti were big about hunting small lizard. Although I have had Trioceros melleri and Calumma parsonii parsonii that would hunt them occasionally too.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Thanks, Jeremy. They are amazing hunters!

No, he's a T-rex. Just eating some meat.

I've been given a little shit by the occasional newbie who has seen a picture of Atlas eating vertebrates. To date they have been told to pull their heads out of their A$$ since it is clear as day the larger the predator, the larger their prey needs to be. I wish had video of my old Parson when he nailed a hummingbird, but back then we didn't even have flip phones.

Also, we have preached for decades that these animals need a varied diet. No way in hell a huge chameleon is going to thrive on just roaches. Atlas is so big now he won't even look at a jumbo super worm and crickets are tiny now.

Noel you're doing preventative de-wormings a few times a year I would think?

Exactly! I have quite a few melleri that are getting to a size where some popular prey items just don't seem to interest them anymore. I am not offering them anoles(@jajeanpierre) but I also know that they are going to hunt what they want. There is no way a chameleon that size in the wild is going to feed on small prey alone. They are opportunists.

Believe it or not Ralph, I do regular fecals on my melleri because of this and to date have never wormed them past what I did in initial acclimation. That boy in the video has been with me for over 5 years. Iron gut. But, I do still check and always will.

Exactly! I have quite a few melleri that are getting to a size where some popular prey items just don't seem to interest them anymore. I am not offering them anoles(@jajeanpierre) but I also know that they are going to hunt what they want. There is no way a chameleon that size in the wild is going to feed on small prey alone. They are opportunists.

Believe it or not Ralph, I do regular fecals on my melleri because of this and to date have never wormed them past what I did in initial acclimation. That boy in the video has been with me for over 5 years. Iron gut. But, I do still check and always will.

Actually it makes sense. A healthy animal like that would have a parasite load in the wild. Your habitat is simply large enough to where it breaks the cycle in captivity where the animal just gets reinfected due to a small amount of space and being constantly re-exposed. Also your animals are healthy and well hydrated on a regular basis, unlike what they go through during the shipping ordeal.

I do an annual de-worming on mine just as a routine. Nothing fancy, Panacur tends to catch the majority of stuff and if I notice something amiss I know to get it examined. With wild caught food items like that on a regular basis I'd do what you are doing.

Actually it makes sense. A healthy animal like that would have a parasite load in the wild. Your habitat is simply large enough to where it breaks the cycle in captivity where the animal just gets reinfected due to a small amount of space and being constantly re-exposed. Also your animals are healthy and well hydrated on a regular basis, unlike what they go through during the shipping ordeal.

I do an annual de-worming on mine just as a routine. Nothing fancy, Panacur tends to catch the majority of stuff and if I notice something amiss I know to get it examined. With wild caught food items like that on a regular basis I'd do what you are doing.

My thoughts as well.

Back
Top Bottom