Life in my greenhouse...may be graphic to some. WARNING

jpowell86

Chameleon Enthusiast
There are always green anoles hitching rides in my greenhouse or squeezing in somehow. I HONESTLY try my best to get them out. I even set up containers with insects that they can jump down in but can't climb out so I can release them back outside. But, some won't let me catch them and this is what happens.

I know people are going to say that since I filmed it, I let it happen. But I have cameras set up in my greenhouse and I see this quite often with my larger melleri whether I am in there or not. Insects just don't cover it for them anymore. They really hunt down larger prey with vigor as you can see from the video.

What a shot though!!!

This won't be graphic for @OldChamKeeper .....HAHA!
@jajeanpierre @Nursemaia @Extensionofgreen

I feel the need to explain some what you saw to those not familiar with dying animals. When you see the anole thrashing its tail, I believe that he is in death throes and probably already (brain) dead. I am very confident that it was already dead because it didn't thrash the tail until well after it was pretty badly mangled and the thrashing started suddenly and with intensity the way death throes do.

When the brain is destroyed or the spinal cord severed the way it probably was when that melleri chomped down on it, there is a thrashing reaction at death. You've heard the term "running around like a chicken with its head cut off"? They really do run around with their head cut off. That kind of reaction to brain destruction or the spinal cord being severed happens to dying people, too. I know, more than you wanted to know but I wanted people to be aware that the thrashing tail did not mean the animal was registering pain.

@jpowell86 You are a bad boy for posting that!

I feel the need to explain some what you saw to those not familiar with dying animals. When you see the anole thrashing its tail, I believe that he is in death throes and probably already (brain) dead. I am very confident that it was already dead because it didn't thrash the tail until well after it was pretty badly mangled and the thrashing started suddenly and with intensity the way death throes do.

When the brain is destroyed or the spinal cord severed the way it probably was when that melleri chomped down on it, there is a thrashing reaction at death. You've heard the term "running around like a chicken with its head cut off"? They really do run around with their head cut off. That kind of reaction to brain destruction or the spinal cord being severed happens to dying people, too. I know, more than you wanted to know but I wanted people to be aware that the thrashing tail did not mean the animal was registering pain.

Oh, Janet.......you know you appreciated my National Geographic film!!! It's not a PetSmart thread.....but it will do!

On a serious note, nice explanation above.

This is a detached, clinical response. Still on the graphic side, most people don't want to know about humans severing their spinal cord. You're an interesting duck.

I was a tiny bit sad for the anole as anoles are most likely the biggest reason for my love of reptiles i would always enjoy catching them as a child how ever im glad the cham was able to have the opportunity to mix up his insect diet and wat a cool video (y)

I was a tiny bit sad for the anole as anoles are most likely the biggest reason for my love of reptiles i would always enjoy catching them as a child how ever im glad the cham was able to have the opportunity to mix up his insect diet and wat a cool video (y)
My 1st reptile was a pair of anoles. Named Lizzy and Borden

Amazing video. What an incredible reach! Totally agree with what others said about the tail. If a tail is detached from a live anole it will have that very reaction, so to me this is confirmation that the anole is dead as the tail is simply "reacting" to the fact that it's no longer attached to a live anole. If that makes sense?!

Back
Top Bottom