Lichen/green algae? Maybe mold? Pls help T-T

Hi so I gathered wood from my backyard to put in my chameleon's enclosure. I soaked it in bleach water and then baked the smaller pieces in the oven for a bit. When I sprayed it down to check humidity after 30 minutes or so I noticed green(idk what, there was also some black) "growing"? I was wondering if this wood is still safe to use for my chameleon (he isn't here yet, he is coming on tuesday). Idk what the green stuff is so should I bake it a second time? Would that solve the problem? Or do I have to purchase wood? I could use help figuring out what this is T-T. Thanks, -Anna
 

Attachments

  • green.jpeg
    green.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 17
  • green 2.jpeg
    green 2.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 18
  • green 3.jpeg
    green 3.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 20

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
Seriously though, It's probably algae. Since you sterilized it, many other things are open to take hold(likely nothing dangerous, but sometimes makes pests like wood boring beetles show up). Also easier for fungi/mold to take hold. This is the reason myself and many others don't bother cleaning branches off. I sometimes rinse with the hose. I also would clean, or not use, branches with bird poop just as a precaution with salmonella as unlikely as it probably is.
 
Seriously though, It's probably algae. Since you sterilized it, many other things are open to take hold(likely nothing dangerous, but sometimes makes pests like wood boring beetles show up). Also easier for fungi/mold to take hold. This is the reason myself and many others don't bother cleaning branches off. I sometimes rinse with the hose. I also would clean, or not use, branches with bird poop just as a precaution with salmonella as unlikely as it probably is.
Ok, thank you so much! I was so worried, but now i can sleep without worry until I find smth else wrong! XD Thanks!
 
Top Bottom