Lethargic Veiled Chameleon

Hey everyone! Hopefully someone can help!.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male veiled chameleon about 1 1/2 years old, we've had him since he was about 3 months this old or so.
  • Handling - usually daily because anytime his tank is opened he crawls onto our arm. He's been like this since we got him, but since he started being lethargic only when we need to handle him.
  • Feeding - We feed him 5-7 large crickets daily and take out what isn't eaten(which usually isn't any) as well as kale, and mustard greens for a treat a few days a week.
  • Supplements - crickets are dusted as recommended with repticalcium, and ge also gets flukers liquid multivitamin as recommended.
  • Watering - we manually spray his tank at least twice a day for a minimum of two minutes each time, he drinks regularly.
  • Fecal Description - droppings are consistent and haven't changed from "normal" chameleon droppings.
  • History - usually pretty active. Currently shedding.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Medium sized zoomed(?) screened tank. Not sure of exact dimensions
  • Lighting - zoomed tropical uvb and heat light, also have a night time bulb for heat
  • Temperature - the highest his temperature gets is around 95ish and the lowest it gets at night is 70.
  • Humidity - usually between 50 and 60%
  • Plants - Artificial plants
  • Placement - tank is in the same place it's always been in. The only difference is we recently changed from a glass tank to a screened tank.
  • Location - northwestern Pennsylvania

Current Problem - Bender has been kind of lethargic. I'm not sure why though. As far as I know he's still eating like normal, although I my husband and I bothwork 12 hour shifts and haven't been home much the past few days. He is also pooping like he normally does also. He got a new tank for Christmas, and shortly after is when we noticed the lethargy. He is also currently shedding, but seems to be more sleepy than usual.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

20190106_205201.jpg

Do you visually see him sleeping with his eyes closed? At what part of the day does he do this?
Usually he sleeps when we turn his night time light on, but more recently he's been sleeping most of the day, at least when we're at home (I obviously don't know what he does when I'm not home. )

if hes sleeping while the lights are on something is wrong, are you using calcium with d3 or without d3

Usually he sleeps when we turn his night time light on, but more recently he's been sleeping most of the day, at least when we're at home (I obviously don't know what he does when I'm not home. )
I'm not quite sure if this could be adding to or part of the problem, but you shouldn't need a nighttime light unless your temps drop to the low 50's. A drop in temp is actually beneficial and the light can disrupt their sleep

maybe he just odd, what makes him lethargic then, his grip is strong, hes acting normally, hess eating and pooping... I don't get it

I'm not quite sure if this could be adding to or part of the problem, but you shouldn't need a nighttime light unless your temps drop to the low 50's. A drop in temp is actually beneficial and the light can disrupt their sleep
It gets down into the 20s and 30s where I live at night, and we usually keep our furnace lower at night because my husband and I are weird and sleep better when it's cold, so we have the heat light because without it the tank has been in the high 50s, which I Didn't like.

maybe he just odd, what makes him lethargic then, his grip is strong, hes acting normally, hess eating and pooping... I don't get it
That's my point. He's just sleeping more than usual. I'm just not sure if its because he's shedding or if something is actually wrong with him.

I don't actually think anything is wrong with him... that's not lethargic, that's just tired!!!:)

Back
Top Bottom