leopard geckos?

OliveTheVeiled

My 12 year old has a Tremper Albino leopard gecko who is becoming lazy. He will no longer chase crickets and only eats mealworms. We hardly see him out of his cave anymore. This past weekend everyone got a cage cleaning and i moved the cave from over the heated corner to the non heated corner in hopes that will cause him to stay out and visit with us a bit, he still has a hiding log in the heated corner but we're able to see him better under it. My husband also think's he's moving a bit slow. We've had him since May. Any ideas??

If you've only had him since May and this is your first winter with him, he might just be going dormant for the winter.

Some lizards do that. Back when I kept and bred leopard geckos, i would even cool them considerably for a couple fo months during the winter to improve my breeding success ( fast them for a couple weeks to clear their gut, turned off the heat and kept them in a cold room the basement at 55 degrees for a couple of months- they just go dormant and inactive- warm them up again and they think it is spring time and start breeding).

That would be my hunch with a 12 year old gecko this time of year.

But it could also mean another problem causing lethargy (over or under supplementation, parasites (keeping his home clean?)).

LOL the gecko isnt 12, his owner ( my son) is 12 :X we clean out his tank often. this is our first winter but he's given up crickets for awhile. he just seams like he doesnt want to chase them. I dont want to breed him, and he was very active when we got him, not sure what happen. he's not fat LOL

Oh LOL 12 years

My comments all still apply no matter the age of the gecko or the owner.

He may decide to brumate (chill out and go dormant) whether you are interested in breeding him or not. Winter time = time to go dormant for some individuals because of instinct.

But- like I said, it could be something else as well.

I agree :) probably brumation for the winter. My guys started in September and are getting back to normal now. My guys have also just gone through a breeding season (I have a male and female) but there's too much of a size difference to let them mate. They were both bummed out about that and went recluse on me :D

Back
Top Bottom