Leopard gecko laying

There are three different types of albino in Leopard Geckos: Tremper, Bell, and Rainwater. It is generally advised not to breed them together, I forget exactly why but it is definitely something to look into.
I found this. https://celestial-geckos.tumblr.com/post/153239984938/crossing-albino-strains

Crossing strains of albinism is a huge no-no. Regardless of it causes blatant issues with offspring or not. You’re stacking mutations affecting similar pathways when you do it. One albinism would be like having a leaky pipe before the shower head. Stacking them together is like removing entire sections of the plumbing.

I found this. https://celestial-geckos.tumblr.com/post/153239984938/crossing-albino-strains

Crossing strains of albinism is a huge no-no. Regardless of it causes blatant issues with offspring or not. You’re stacking mutations affecting similar pathways when you do it. One albinism would be like having a leaky pipe before the shower head. Stacking them together is like removing entire sections of the plumbing.
There we go! It's been a while, thanks! The tricky thing is that you don't know for sure the albino strains a gecko can hold if it is heterozygous or possible heterozygous (het or poss het) for it, which is difficult to tell visually. Where did you get the geckos from OP?

I read it all and then I realized my gf is learning genetics right now and she cant get a clue what can be wrong with them. The reason is that the Rainwater albino is simple recessive and Tremper albino is too simple recessive so from calculation from her and her friend from university said that babies cant have any downsides.. I wont jump to conclusions, still researching. Im nit even near to start breeding them.
A360E930-0695-4357-9622-3B1F28954387.jpeg

For the albino's I don't think there are health issues like with some other dominant morphs, I think the problem is that they can then hide and are untraceable for anyone who purchases the offspring. The only way to then tell their genetics is by breeding them, and even then the offspring can have more hidden genes that are difficult to prove.

For the albino's I don't think there are health issues like with some other dominant morphs, I think the problem is that they can then hide and are untraceable for anyone who purchases the offspring. The only way to then tell their genetics is by breeding them, and even then the offspring can have more hidden genes that are difficult to prove.
I think if that is the only (ethical) problem everything going to be fine. There are only 2 breeders in Serbia that I know of and I would be the third (extremely small breeder). People here dont even know about morphs and genetic history about geckos, they just want to buy one that looks the best for their taste and have it as a pet. So if nothing can harm the newborns I think I’m okay to do it 🤷‍♂️

I think if that is the only (ethical) problem everything going to be fine. There are only 2 breeders in Serbia that I know of and I would be the third (extremely small breeder). People here dont even know about morphs and genetic history about geckos, they just want to buy one that looks the best for their taste and have it as a pet. So if nothing can harm the newborns I think I’m okay to do it 🤷‍♂️
As long as they are specifically labeled "Pet Only" then it should be ok. Just something to keep in mind. :)

Back
Top Bottom