Legs for a ReptiZoo cage?

SueAndHerZoo

Established Member
Since I'll be rescuing an adult male veiled tomorrow who comes with a cage that is MUCH too small for him I will be getting a 24 x 24 x 48 ReptiBreeze for him. The habitat I currently have for my young female is a hybrid (some glass, some screen) so this will be my first experience with a ReptiBreeze. I want it to be higher than 48" .... do most of you put these cages on some sort of stand or table? Or do they sell legs for it that would get it off the floor and higher up so that the chameleon can be above me to feel safe?

Also, my current habitat has a bioactive bottom. Is that possible in the ReptiBreeze cages? I can't seem to find any good, close up photos of one.
Sue

It has a little platform you can put stuff ob

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 92
I’ve used the stands and they were great. For drainage I just drilled a few small center holes in my substrate trays and had a bucket on the shelf to catch the drainage. However, when I went bioactive I didn’t feel they could handle the weight. I currently use heavy duty shelving for all of my enclosures, very similar to this. https://www.lowes.com/pd/edsal-Musc...r-Steel-Freestanding-Shelving-Unit/1000556523 I have it set up so I have two shorter units rather than one tall one.

I’ve used the stands and they were great. For drainage I just drilled a few small center holes in my substrate trays and had a bucket on the shelf to catch the drainage. However, when I went bioactive I didn’t feel they could handle the weight. I currently use heavy duty shelving for all of my enclosures, very similar to this. https://www.lowes.com/pd/edsal-Musc...r-Steel-Freestanding-Shelving-Unit/1000556523 I have it set up so I have two shorter units rather than one tall one.
So you don't think I can do bioactive in a ReptiBreeze the way it is?
Sue

Am looking at tables similar to that right now - thanks. I can't go that wide for the area I'm putting the new cage - I am looking for something that's as close to 24 x 24 as possible. The ReptiBreeze stands would be great but I really didn't want to spend $80 just for a stand. I'm on the search. :)
Sue

Am looking at tables similar to that right now - thanks. I can't go that wide for the area I'm putting the new cage - I am looking for something that's as close to 24 x 24 as possible. The ReptiBreeze stands would be great but I really didn't want to spend $80 just for a stand. I'm on the search. :)
Sue
Just a suggestion—some have found deals on used stands or tables on Craigslist, et al.

I use a mix of screen enclosures - ReptiBreeze and from DIY. All but one are bioactive. I use root pouches to contain the substrate which works very well. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Root-Po...-Pots-with-Handles-1-Pack-BB900-35H/314504993 Here’s how I do it. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/kali’s-big-girl-house.186352/ and pics of my enclosures on the shelving units.
Thanks for the links - VERY helpful! I think the root pouches are a great idea.... looking at the sizes available I'm guessing you buy the very large ones and then modify/conform them to fit the square bottom while rolling over the top? When you water the plants, doesn't some of the water still seep through the root pouch? Would I need to find a 24 x 24 square plastic bin for the bottom to keep the root pouch in?

And how the heck are you having living plants hanging on the OUTSIDE of those cages!?!?!?!?o_O
Sue

Thanks for the links - VERY helpful! I think the root pouches are a great idea.... looking at the sizes available I'm guessing you buy the very large ones and then modify/conform them to fit the square bottom while rolling over the top? When you water the plants, doesn't some of the water still seep through the root pouch? Would I need to find a 24 x 24 square plastic bin for the bottom to keep the root pouch in?

And how the heck are you having living plants hanging on the OUTSIDE of those cages!?!?!?!?o_O
Sue
Oops! Gave the wrong size link for the root pouch. I use the 45 gal ones, which are a near perfect fit. The XL ReptiBreeze substrate trays fit perfectly inside the enclosure and I use to prevent any possible drainage leaking. I also have heavy duty plastic to cover the shelf the enclosure is on as added protection. I run dual nozzle Mist King misters for each enclosure and mist for 2 minutes, 3 times a day plus a couple of 15 second mistings during the night and haven’t had any drainage or excessive moisture issues. About once a week I have to water some of the plants and make sure the ones planted on the bottom have been getting enough water.
Like most, when I started I bought a ton of fake plants. It felt like such a waste to throw them out, so those are what are hanging on the doors of my enclosure. Gives my chams more privacy.

Oops! Gave the wrong size link for the root pouch. I use the 45 gal ones, which are a near perfect fit. The XL ReptiBreeze substrate trays fit perfectly inside the enclosure and I use to prevent any possible drainage leaking. I also have heavy duty plastic to cover the shelf the enclosure is on as added protection. I run dual nozzle Mist King misters for each enclosure and mist for 2 minutes, 3 times a day plus a couple of 15 second mistings during the night and haven’t had any drainage or excessive moisture issues. About once a week I have to water some of the plants and make sure the ones planted on the bottom have been getting enough water.
Like most, when I started I bought a ton of fake plants. It felt like such a waste to throw them out, so those are what are hanging on the doors of my enclosure. Gives my chams more privacy.
Great, thanks for the additional info. Having never seen the bottom of a ReptiBreeze in person yet I really don't know what I'm dealing with. So I would need to purchase the optional substrate tray, right? What is on the bottom of the cage the way it comes in the box... just a thin layer of plastic with no lip?
Sue

Great, thanks for the additional info. Having never seen the bottom of a ReptiBreeze in person yet I really don't know what I'm dealing with. So I would need to purchase the optional substrate tray, right? What is on the bottom of the cage the way it comes in the box... just a thin layer of plastic with no lip?
Sue
Yes. The bottom is open and has a sheet of flat plastic that sits inside. The substrate tray is sold separately and has a lip to it and is a bit more rigid plastic. https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...eze+substrate+tray&qid=1646002892&sr=8-2&th=1 Here’s the one from DIY https://www.diycages.com/collection...-sc4s-and-sc-cube-model-vertical-screen-cages If you’re crafty, you could probably make your own.

One way to make a 6" deep substrate tray for a 24" x 24" enclosure is from a single 24" x 48" quarter sheet of 1/4" (or 1/2") PVC.

1646009414320.png

The bottom will be something less than 24" x 24" in order to fit inside the enclosure. The remaining half can be cut into approx. 6" wide strips for the sides. Some shortening of the sides will also be required so they don't overshoot the bottom.

PVC glues very easily with PVC cement. Read all directions & precautions, and work only in a well-ventilated area away from pets—this stuff is really stinky and the fumes are bad. It works by melting/welding the PVC pieces together, so work carefully and quickly—no do-overs!

Lots of 'How-to' articles & videos on working with the stuff.

Back
Top Bottom