LED UVB

Thatwizard420

Chameleon Enthusiast
I was watching one of my favorite youtubers, and I foud something interesting.
LED Bulb with UVB- UVA- and 6500k spectrum for plants.
Have anyone tried it?

Reptilamp LED bulbs.jpg

Hi y'all,
I'm setting up an enclosure for my first chameleon. I'd like to avoid the fluorescent bulb due to how quickly they burn out and their form factor. I ran across these on Amazon. I've read the links above and others in these forums and other sources like the Chameleon Academy and just can't find anyone that has taken measurements on these specific bulbs. From what I can tell from the specs, the silver one is the same as the green one. If I were to use these, which one should I use? Should I plan on using a couple to spread out the area? What would be the distance measurements of the danger zone vs ideal zone from the bulb? Are these too powerful and too directional? So many questions! :)

You need a linear T5 High Output fixture (at least as long as your cage is or as long as his/her's biggest cage will be) and bulb (either Arcadia 6% or Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0) to use for your UVB.

You need a linear T5 High Output fixture (at least as long as your cage is or as long as his/her's biggest cage will be) and bulb (either Arcadia 6% or Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0) to use for your UVB.
I appreciate your suggestion, but it doesn't answer my questions about the bulbs I'm inquiring about. They produce UVB and UVA, so based on the specs why would they or wouldn't they work?

No, you need UVB that reaches across the entire length of the cage. The LED bulbs are too small and need more advancements and testing

Alrighty, I've been trying a few of these new LED UV bulbs to see if they're legit. About 1 in 3 (2 of.the 6 I purchased) DO have UV output; tested with a solarmeter 6.2, results below and in pictures. They doesn't get hot; the temperature of the actual bulb after 10 minutes (to allow the bulb to warm up fully and give accurate UV readings) was only 87-91°F.

UV readings good Bulb 1:
At 2": 34 uW/cm²
At 3": 22 uW/cm²
At 4": 18 uW/cm²
At 5": 13 uW/cm²

UV readings good Bulb 2:
At 2": Reading of 46 uw/cm²
At 3": Reading of 24 uw/cm²
At 4": Reading of 14 uw/cm²

As tropical reptiles need approximately 13-30 uw/cm² for adaquate D3 metabolism, this would only be sufficient if the basking area was around 3-4" below the surface of the bulb. However, that was distance to the animal, and not the basking surface itself, or it could provide too strong of UV rays, which can damage or irritate eyes. Also, it's not reasonable to expect a chameleon to hang out in that tiny 'safe' zone all day. I so believe that LED will be the future of UV, but not for awhile yet.
Edit: grammar and phone typing 😞

Last edited:
Whoops, forgot pics

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210827-200945.jpg
    Screenshot_20210827-200945.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot_20210827-200952.jpg
    Screenshot_20210827-200952.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot_20210827-200958.jpg
    Screenshot_20210827-200958.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot_20210827-201005.jpg
    Screenshot_20210827-201005.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot_20210827-201029.jpg
    Screenshot_20210827-201029.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_20210827-201040.jpg
    Screenshot_20210827-201040.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot_20210827-201044_20210827201554970.jpg
    Screenshot_20210827-201044_20210827201554970.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot_20210827-201049.jpg
    Screenshot_20210827-201049.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 103
View attachment 308759
Hi y'all,
I'm setting up an enclosure for my first chameleon. I'd like to avoid the fluorescent bulb due to how quickly they burn out and their form factor.
Unfortunately, the T5HO fluorescents are still the best game in town. The LEDs are getting better, but IMO aren't quite there yet. BTW, what's the cost of these?

I ran across these on Amazon. I've read the links above and others in these forums and other sources like the Chameleon Academy and just can't find anyone that has taken measurements on these specific bulbs.
That may be because they're too new, or aren't really suitable for reptile husbandry.

From what I can tell from the specs, the silver one is the same as the green one. If I were to use these, which one should I use? Should I plan on using a couple to spread out the area?
You would need to do at least that. You'd need to know the beam angle to have enough to span the entire enclosure width. I think TayloredExotics has a point that with such a short range, distance to the basking zone would have to be measured very accurately.

What would be the distance measurements of the danger zone vs ideal zone from the bulb?
IDK. I use a Solarmeter 6.5 that reads out UVI directly.

Are these too powerful and too directional? So many questions! :)
They're powerful within their effective range, but that range is extremely limited—somewhere between 1/2 to 1/4 of the range of a T5HO w/reflector.

Questions are fine. I try to keep apprised of LED UVBs, but somewhat cursorily. I look forward to the efficiency, longer life, and not polluting with mercury.

If this company mfd these in a strip/linear bulb that could operate in a std. T5 fixture, and could improve the range, they might really have something of interest to reptile keepers.

Alrighty, I've been trying a few of these new LED UV bulbs to see if they're legit. About 1 in 3 (2 of.the 6 I purchased) DO have UV output; tested with a solarmeter 6.2, results below and in pictures. They doesn't get hot; the temperature of the actual bulb after 10 minutes (to allow the bulb to warm up fully and give accurate UV readings) was only 87-91°F.

UV readings good Bulb 1:
At 2": 34 uW/cm²
At 3": 22 uW/cm²
At 4": 18 uW/cm²
At 5": 13 uW/cm²

UV readings good Bulb 2:
At 2": Reading of 46 uw/cm²
At 3": Reading of 24 uw/cm²
At 4": Reading of 14 uw/cm²

As tropical reptiles need approximately 13-30 uw/cm² for adaquate D3 metabolism, this would only be sufficient if the basking area was around 3-4" below the surface of the bulb. However,was than that distance to the animal, and not the basking surface itself could provide too strong of UV rays, which can damage or irritate eyes. Also, it's not reasonable to expect a chameleon to hang out in that tiny 'safe' zone all day. I so believe that LED will be the future of UV, but not for awhile yet.
Thanks for this data. Which bulb did you test? Was there a screen involved? It's clearly looking like fluo bulb is going to be the way to go but I do like the low power consumption, longevity and form factor of LED bulbs for my slightly narrow but tall enclosure. Thanks, Tim.

Unfortunately, the T5HO fluorescents are still the best game in town. The LEDs are getting better, but IMO aren't quite there yet. BTW, what's the cost of these?

That may be because they're too new, or aren't really suitable for reptile husbandry.

You would need to do at least that. You'd need to know the beam angle to have enough to span the entire enclosure width. I think TayloredExotics has a point that with such a short range, distance to the basking zone would have to be measured very accurately.

IDK. I use a Solarmeter 6.5 that reads out UVI directly.

They're powerful within their effective range, but that range is extremely limited—somewhere between 1/2 to 1/4 of the range of a T5HO w/reflector.

Questions are fine. I try to keep apprised of LED UVBs, but somewhat cursorily. I look forward to the efficiency, longer life, and not polluting with mercury.

If this company mfd these in a strip/linear bulb that could operate in a std. T5 fixture, and could improve the range, they might really have something of interest to reptile keepers.
They're $23-$30 each but I would guess should last a long time. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0962SXV9...abc_VKKC1636DPXD3PT7ZYPG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom