Leaving Feeders in cage at night?

KatiLemons

Established Member
So I have been putting crickets in Levi's cage since I got him 6 days ago! Today was the first time I actually witnessed hum actually hunting and eating a cricket. I know that superworms are just a treat but I have given him about 5 in the past week. I am wondering if it is not good to leave the crickets he hasnt gotten yet in the cage overnight? Is there any risk if they are left in until he gets them? I also was puzzled as to if I am dusting the crickets wont the supplement dust fall off if it is left for free range hunting? I am also a little uneasy about not knowing how many he really has eatten and how many have gotten out or are hiding. Also they all congregate at the top corner of the cage. Will he learn to always go up there to hunt?? i tried cup feeding today and he ate 1 cricket and 1 superworm out of 5 crickets! Any suggestions would be great!

I've read on many different threads that it is ill advised, especially depending on the age of your cham and size of feeders. The feeders could get hungry and attack your cham while it's sleeping.. someone can tell me if i'm wrong?

*edit: here is an older thread basically saying the same thing https://www.chameleonforums.com/loose-food-21552/

Yes, the crickets should be removed at night. They could nip at your sleeping chameleon. He should be able to hunt them down if they are out in the open even if they are in a corner. If they are hiding behind something or under something, then no of course. Yes, after time the dusting powder will come off but there should still be some left unless they get wet. I used to dump about half out of was I was going to feed on the bottom of the cage. they would run straight up the screen to the top and he would pick them off. I would count as he ate them. I know not everyone has the time to sit there and count, but mine would eat them in a matter of minutes. I would feed the other half later. That is what worked for me. The dusting powder was still on them when he ate them.

Also I don't know if you've ever tried to hand feed but what worked for me to get my guy to cup feed is a combo method: just hold the cup in your hand alittle ways away from him and as soon as he gets his eyes on the feeders he goes nuts.. atleast mine does, but he's ravenous and i've never had a problem feeding him. After he associates the cup/hand with food when you've been doing it awhile he'll come running when he sees the cup moving to the cage. After that all you have to do is put the cup in the cage.

What I do is I cup feed (cham is only 3.5 mos and he gets where the food is lol) and what ever he doesnt eat, i toss back into my gutloading deli cup ! I toss in 10-12 Crix into a deli cup with a couple bits of fruit/veggies and some calcium gutloader and in the morning pick those out and put those into my dusting cup, then from the dusting cup into the feeding cup !

works out well so far lol

Also I don't know if you've ever tried to hand feed but what worked for me to get my guy to cup feed is a combo method: just hold the cup in your hand alittle ways away from him and as soon as he gets his eyes on the feeders he goes nuts.. atleast mine does, but he's ravenous and i've never had a problem feeding him. After he associates the cup/hand with food when you've been doing it awhile he'll come running when he sees the cup moving to the cage. After that all you have to do is put the cup in the cage.

I have tried hand feeding but he doesnt seem to get really excited to eat unless it a superworm. Maybe I am just not seein him eat more then one at a time. He may still be eating more just over a longer period of time!!

My 6 month veiled demolishes 12 crickets in as much time as it takes to say it, so i feel like there is something else going on but i'm by no means an expert maybe fill out the ask for help form https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/. OR it could just be that your cham is bored and wants something different, try dubia maybe?

yeah mine wont hand feed with crix cuz they dont move much while you hold them. they like the superworms cuz of the wiggly movements. mine only eats crix from my hand if ive missed his normal feeding schedule and hes hungry.

When I get lazy I leave them in a cup. Hand feeding is probably best approached by trying everyday even though they won't take the meal. If they don't take it toss it in their cage and try again with another one. Wiggle the crickets.

My 4month old panther does not like my hand anywhere near him in his cage. I have a small plastic cup that is wired to a branch near his basking spot. I drop in about 5-6 small/medium crickets twice a day.

I also put a small pile of fluckers dry food in the corner of the cage incase there are any leftover escapes during the night. If theres food in the cage, they shouldn't attack the chameleon.

Thumb tack a piece of carrot through th side of the screen. The crickets will eat it instead of your cham. Sometimes it's almost impossible to get all the crickets out.

If you are worried about a few crickets in your cage I would say its fine. If you are really worried about a few crickets in the cage nipping at your chameleon then just put some cricket chow in the cage and they will leave your chameleon alone.

Back
Top Bottom