Leave lights on or off while in laying bin

Lacrowell

My female veiled is laying her first clutch of infertile eggs. She is currently in her laying box in her new enclosure digging away. The only thing I forgot to do was place her lights back on the timer today. I don't want to spook her from her nest but I'm not sure if I can leave the lights on all night. She is in a room all to herself and when I cracked the door open earlier today she ran back up to her branch. I peeked in through the window from outside and she is in the bin. Please advise on what would be less stressful to her.

So I peaked in the window again and I saw Patty hanging on the side and her stomach was sunk in. So like a bad person I went in to her room to see closer. Yep her tummy was sunk in. She looked hungry and is still really dark in color. She refused crickets this morning, but ate 6 tonight. I didn't dig in the lay bin. But should I leave it in for a few days?

If infertile, you can remove on your own schedule. They tend to mold in about 10-14 days. In the future, make sure to keep that timer running. It lets your female know it is night and time to give up until tomorrow. Working all night can really stress her, even kill her.

I usually have the light set up but I bought a new cage and finished the stand with drainage and moved her in yesterday. I had to rearrange the misting system and hadn't put the timer back on before she started digging away, lol. I guess she likes the new place.

Came home tonight to find my little girl skinny and covered in mud. I've never been so proud. Her past history scared me since her previous owners relinquished her to my clinic because she was egg bound. This was back in February. Since the. She has reabsorbed some of her eggs, then started producing again in May. After all this time I was monitoring her environment making it perfect for her. Now to change it up again to try and prevent her from producing eggs again...

Some females just lay eggs consistently throughout their lives. I had a Nosy Be female that produced eggs every 2-3 months her whole life without ever seeing a male. I tried many different things to slow down or stop her but she just kept producing. She lived to be almost 5 years old.

I just dug her eggs out of the lay bin, 24 total. She's eating well and drinking. I'm going to try the restricted diet and environment control, it's worth a shot and can't hurt anything. I just worry about future clutches since the reason why she was turned over to my clinic was because she wouldn't lay her first clutch. The owners didn't want to spend the money on spaying her so they turned her in and I adopted her. We decided not to spay her at that time because she was still eating and drinking very well. We continually monitored her. Then her body started to absorb the calcified eggs she had. It got down to her only having three eggs, then she started producing again. But she finally laid them.

Back
Top Bottom