Learning everyday :)

Ok so after raising my bulb up about 6 inches, so 12 from the closest branch, my enclosure is now cooling down way to fast. I’m using this 65 watt plant bulb and it’s just not cutting it. Any recommendations?
Your going to want to play with wattage for basking. I have a full 10 inch drop to the branch and a 60 watt regular incandescent bulb. I do not have mine any closer because of thermal burn risk. And I can hit easily 82 degrees in the basking area.

Honestly due to your enclosure I would recommend getting a solarmeter 6.5 next to you exacts...

Problem is your fixture's reflector can make a difference as well. But with the type of screen you have it is going to be practically at full strength. Over exposure is just as bad as under exposure.

So I am giving you a rough estimate of what I can get without anything in between and a single bulb T5HO fixture and a 6% bulb. These are my numbers below. No Barrier at all between.
One fixture that is 48 inches it is a full 12 inch drop to get a 3 UVI the other is a 36 inch fixture and it is a full 11 inch drop to get a 3 UVI.
Okie dokie I’ve got me a solarmeter :) it says is at about 1.5-2 on his branch and at 3 on the screen, he like to go up there a bunch so I figured to set the screen at 3 so he doesn’t over expose him self while climbing everything

Okie dokie I’ve got me a solarmeter :) it says is at about 1.5-2 on his branch and at 3 on the screen, he like to go up there a bunch so I figured to set the screen at 3 so he doesn’t over expose him self while climbing everything
So the UVI on the screen should sit no higher then a 6 UVI. He will start settling and stop climbing the top panel soon because it will not be comfortable. Once he does make your adjustments so the branch is back at a 3 UVI and make sure when you test your outputs that your holding the solarmeter up at the distance you want to measure then pressing the button. :)

So the UVI on the screen should sit no higher then a 6 UVI. He will start settling and stop climbing the top panel soon because it will not be comfortable. Once he does make your adjustments so the branch is back at a 3 UVI and make sure when you test your outputs that your holding the solarmeter up at the distance you want to measure then pressing the button. :)
Awesome perfect :) thank you for the advice!! I also began to spray a couple time during the day to keep the humidity up, it’ll drop to like 30% if I don’t but I also read that spraying during the day can be bad while lights are on how do you feel about that?

Awesome perfect :) thank you for the advice!! I also began to spray a couple time during the day to keep the humidity up, it’ll drop to like 30% if I don’t but I also read that spraying during the day can be bad while lights are on how do you feel about that?
Sealing off the back (and sides if needed) with PVC board, shower curtains, or window seal, etc. helps keep humidity levels up, along with more live plants. If you still have to mist during the middle of the day, try to only do it once.

I would not spray in the middle of the day. Rather do a longer misting in the morning and evening. Then do what @ERKleRose recommended and it will help contain your humidity levels during the day. If that does not work you can up ambient humidity during the day by running a cool mist humidifier in the room that the cage is in. This will pull daytime levels up without adding all the moisture directly to the cage.

I would not spray in the middle of the day. Rather do a longer misting in the morning and evening. Then do what @ERKleRose recommended and it will help contain your humidity levels during the day. If that does not work you can up ambient humidity during the day by running a cool mist humidifier in the room that the cage is in. This will pull daytime levels up without adding all the moisture directly to the cage.
Sealing off the back (and sides if needed) with PVC board, shower curtains, or window seal, etc. helps keep humidity levels up, along with more live plants. If you still have to mist during the middle of the day, try to only do it once
I will try all of this then :) thank you guys again! I do have three sides all sealed up just still losing it during the day. So I’ll try to do a 5 min spray morning and night instead of 3. Could I spray a few times a night? Like once at 8pm right after lights out and once again at midnight?

I will try all of this then :) thank you guys again! I do have three sides all sealed up just still losing it during the day. So I’ll try to do a 5 min spray morning and night instead of 3. Could I spray a few times a night? Like once at 8pm right after lights out and once again at midnight?
Yup, you can also use a fogger/cool mist or ultrasonic humidifier at night to get up to 100% humidity levels. Just make sure to properly clean it, its tubes, and anything else used thoroughly and often. And put the output tube for it at the top of his cage so the fog runs down

Sealing off the back (and sides if needed) with PVC board, shower curtains, or window seal, etc. helps keep humidity levels up, along with more live plants. If you still have to mist during the middle of the day, try to only do it once.
I agree with everything ERKleRose says here; Misting once during the day is fine.
Does it never rain in Madagascar during the day? Much of it is a RAINFOREST! :eek:

As is typical of tropical areas, the rains usually occur in the form of thunderstorms, especially in the afternoon, so there's no shortage of sunshine even in the wettest months, at least in the morning hours.
https://www.climatestotravel.com/climate/madagascar

IDK what you read—could it have had to do with electricity & water not mixing?
If the nozzles are aimed properly, that shouldn't happen.

I have the same problem this time of year. I'm misting @ 6am, noon, and 6pm—2 min ea session with no problems. More between 6pm & 6am.

Back
Top Bottom