Learning everyday :)

Cravina

So for the last few days Waldo (this name has really stuck) has been looking quite dark and seeming not to be able to warm up enough.. I added some tarp to three of the four walls and holy moly he brightened up and has been warmer in there. It was 75-78 ambient temp at the top and closer to 70 at the bottom. Now we’re hitting 85 at the top with a basking of 82. First two pics are while he was shedding and the next morning after and the last 2 are two hours after installing the tarp! Let me know what you think and if you’ll think I’m reading him correctly :)
1942FB16-1626-4E22-BEE9-F7CEC6BFEDE3.jpeg
743B5736-8C12-47D4-9649-E33EC6EF790A.jpeg
0173D060-54E6-446B-AEC3-760A289E9F3C.png
57C4728B-E348-4FC1-B257-D5A9F73334D0.jpeg

So for the last few days Waldo (this name has really stuck) has been looking quite dark and seeming not to be able to warm up enough.. I added some tarp to three of the four walls and holy moly he brightened up and has been warmer in there. It was 75-78 ambient temp at the top and closer to 70 at the bottom. Now we’re hitting 85 at the top with a basking of 82. First two pics are while he was shedding and the next morning after and the last 2 are two hours after installing the tarp! Let me know what you think and if you’ll think I’m reading him correctly :) View attachment 289475View attachment 289476View attachment 289477View attachment 289478
You need to add either the second or last photo to an upcoming photo contest! LOVE the name, by the way! 😉. He’s absolutely gorgeous!

Temps are much better for him...
May I ask what your doing for UVB and what your distance to basking is? The material you used will not reduce UVB the same so it will be much stronger as if there is nothing blocking it as screen would. So it therefor does not reduce the UVB level either.

Temps are much better for him...
May I ask what your doing for UVB and what your distance to basking is? The material you used will not reduce UVB the same so it will be much stronger as if there is nothing blocking it as screen would. So it therefor does not reduce the UVB level either.
I’m glad to hear, I have a 65 watt GE plant bulb which is on the screen and isn’t uncomfortable to touch at all (if you feel I should raise up any ways I shall) which is 6 inches away from the closest branch. The uvb is the same distance from the branches as the heat bulb. I didn’t realize that the uv light didn’t weaken from the material I’m using, should I suspend it?

You need to add either the second or last photo to an upcoming photo contest! LOVE the name, by the way! 😉. He’s absolutely gorgeous!
if I am able to I would love to! When is that and also I thought had to be unlocked or something for me to post in contest...?

if I am able to I would love to! When is that and also I thought had to be unlocked or something for me to post in contest...?
I have no idea, but those photos are too amazing to waste!
Edit: also just think of the captions that you can put for those! Some great puns to be made!

I’m glad to hear, I have a 65 watt GE plant bulb which is on the screen and isn’t uncomfortable to touch at all (if you feel I should raise up any ways I shall) which is 6 inches away from the closest branch. The uvb is the same distance from the branches as the heat bulb. I didn’t realize that the uv light didn’t weaken from the material I’m using, should I suspend it?
What UVB fixture and bulb strength are you using?

As long as you can place your hand under the heat bulb and hold it there without it being uncomfortable then he should be ok... If it is at all hot to you then you need to lift it up.

So for the last few days Waldo (this name has really stuck) has been looking quite dark and seeming not to be able to warm up enough.. I added some tarp to three of the four walls and holy moly he brightened up and has been warmer in there. It was 75-78 ambient temp at the top and closer to 70 at the bottom. Now we’re hitting 85 at the top with a basking of 82. First two pics are while he was shedding and the next morning after and the last 2 are two hours after installing the tarp! Let me know what you think and if you’ll think I’m reading him correctly :) View attachment 289475View attachment 289476View attachment 289477View attachment 289478

He looks just like my boy! They could literally be brothers!

Did you get him from highlighter chameleons lol?

Attachments

• 5547163B-1D28-4A51-9AAA-2A1013A179C3.jpeg
    5547163B-1D28-4A51-9AAA-2A1013A179C3.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 0F2E017B-5819-48DE-B272-110C363DC9BC.jpeg
    0F2E017B-5819-48DE-B272-110C363DC9BC.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 275EF2C2-1DC0-47D1-8C4C-21A115FDD274.jpeg
    275EF2C2-1DC0-47D1-8C4C-21A115FDD274.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 56
What UVB fixture and bulb strength are you using?

As long as you can place your hand under the heat bulb and hold it there without it being uncomfortable then he should be ok... If it is at all hot to you then you need to lift it up.
6% 22” Arcadia bulb

6% 22” Arcadia bulb
Honestly due to your enclosure I would recommend getting a solarmeter 6.5 next to you exacts...

Problem is your fixture's reflector can make a difference as well. But with the type of screen you have it is going to be practically at full strength. Over exposure is just as bad as under exposure.

So I am giving you a rough estimate of what I can get without anything in between and a single bulb T5HO fixture and a 6% bulb. These are my numbers below. No Barrier at all between.
One fixture that is 48 inches it is a full 12 inch drop to get a 3 UVI the other is a 36 inch fixture and it is a full 11 inch drop to get a 3 UVI.

Here is the Arcadia lighting guide for this if it helps any. It shows distances with no screen between basking and UVB. It says 12-15”. Completely agree with getting a Solarmeter 6.5, it is a game changer and life-saver!
https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/medium-uv-species/
Honestly due to your enclosure I would recommend getting a solarmeter 6.5 next to you exacts...

Problem is your fixture's reflector can make a difference as well. But with the type of screen you have it is going to be practically at full strength. Over exposure is just as bad as under exposure.

So I am giving you a rough estimate of what I can get without anything in between and a single bulb T5HO fixture and a 6% bulb. These are my numbers below. No Barrier at all between.
One fixture that is 48 inches it is a full 12 inch drop to get a 3 UVI the other is a 36 inch fixture and it is a full 11 inch drop to get a 3 UVI.
alright I’ll raise the light up about a foot, I’ll put the solarmeter on order! :) thanks for the advice guys! I want the best for my boy! I’ve got a another animal with uvb so it’ll be a good investment anyways :)

Okie dokie I ordered one :) found one on eBay alittle cheaper! Anything else you can see in my closure you think I should change? I have the form review in an earlier post of mine :)

Okie dokie I ordered one :) found one on eBay alittle cheaper! Anything else you can see in my closure you think I should change? I have the form review in an earlier post of mine :)
From what I can see of the cage it looks really good. I think you will find the solarmeter to be a good investment. I am glad you found one to order. Even using the standard material we are all giving basic guesses on distances. Because the fixture type, reflector, bulb, and even length all make a difference along with the material that it goes through. So it is important to know what your exact numbers are at basking. Now you will and you will be able to tell when your bulb needs to be replaced.

From what I can see of the cage it looks really good. I think you will find the solarmeter to be a good investment. I am glad you found one to order. Even using the standard material we are all giving basic guesses on distances. Because the fixture type, reflector, bulb, and even length all make a difference along with the material that it goes through. So it is important to know what your exact numbers are at basking. Now you will and you will be able to tell when your bulb needs to be replaced.
Ok so after raising my bulb up about 6 inches, so 12 from the closest branch, my enclosure is now cooling down way to fast. I’m using this 65 watt plant bulb and it’s just not cutting it. Any recommendations?

Back
Top Bottom