Laying Substrate

I look and try and find that.

Your supposed to keep the laying sand moist right? Will misting it keep it moist enough?

I haven't used straight sand, but have used a sand and soil mix, and had it moist enough to be able to clump it together in your fist and have it hold its shape. If it is too moist it will cause your female to have digging and breathing problems (as the heavy moist soil gets stuck to her snout). We had a veiled female come up from laying her eggs, and the soil was literally caked around her head so you could not even see the shape of her head. We misted it off her right away and did not do the soil that damp any more. Also, we had a case where the soil was too moist and the girl didn't lay her eggs, she just spent a few days doing test holes. So, when we realized the problem, we dumped out all that soil and quickly refilled with a dryer batch, and she laid her eggs the next day.

The way it was described by someone on this forum was thusly: Dig a little tunnel in the soil. If your hand can go through the tunnel and out the other side and the tunnel still hold its shape then you've got it moist enough.

Could it be that your female has started to cycle because she could see your male?

In your other thread they have a clear view of each other-I have to second kinyonga's statement. You really need to visually separate them-this is stressing both of them and could certainly cause her to lay an infertile clutch. You can do this with a towel and some saftey pins-cover up the side/corner of one of their cages. If she is gravid right now-she may not lay because she can see him.

If she's already got eggs in her they are infertile. .

We're not planning on breeding her until we can get her set up in a different room, where its quieter and she has more privacy.

Yes-the eggs would be infertile-but that isn't going to matter to her. She will still need privacy or she could opt not to lay them causing her to become eggbound. They are still stressing each other out and you will see them deteriorate healthwise over time. Simple fix, cover half of one of the cages...

I threw a sheet over the corner of the males cage last night when they got in their sleeping spots. as far as i can tell theres not a way he can see her and she cant see him.

Ok, I was saying if it was just a regular sheet then the light would go through it and they would be able to see each others shadow.

When their cages were side by side for those few weeks I had to switch out the sheet for a blanket to make sure. Because there was that time when she was really really stressed. And I wanted to make sure it wasn't because of the male. I figured, they realized they are in eye shot again, better be safe and use the blanket lol

The last sheet I put on was green and white. So I thought better safe then sorry. But in the end, like i learned, she was stressed because of the glass terrarium she was in :) but we fixed that

Shows ya how much I know about them. I seriously need to do more research before getting some lol

Back
Top Bottom