Laying eggs

jnourigat

I have a female veiled cham and she is about 7 months old. I have a sand area set up at the bottom of her glass cage for egg laying. The cage is about 24 by 24 by 48 and I have owned her now for three weeks. The last few days she has been doing a lot of wondering around the bottom then heads back up on top. This seems to be around evening time, meaning 1800-2000 hrs. Tonight she had her butt buried in the sand box, but there were no eggs. I try to get out of the room when she walks around the bottom in order not to disturb. She never mated so I am talking infertile eggs only. Temps, humidity, air circulation, her feeding habits, etc, are all good to go. I just have a few questions.

How long will this go on?
When can I expect to see eggs?
Will they be buried deep down?
How many eggs can I expect?
What do they look like?

Any help would be great. THANKS.

From what I have been told the sand needs to be moist and in a 12" by 12" pot to dig in then when she is ready to lay she needs to be moved to a large plastic storage bin with a hole cut in the lid and replaced with screen and a night light over the top to keep her warm I had some good help you can view my page asking for help there is some very good advice here.................................................................................................................... https://www.chameleonforums.com/need-advice-laying-bin-51584/

How deep is the sand in the bottom of the tank? It should be 12 inches deep. She will continue to lay infertile eggs through out her life.But you can control it with feeding and temp. Eggs are a little bit smaller than a quarter. this is just from what I have heard.

The exploring can go on for a few months - be patient. The female likes to explore and dig often - she's looking for a suitable place to lay.
You will know if she is really ready to lay because she will locate the bin/pot you've put out for her and you'll see the sand everywhere. You might even catch her in the hole with her butt in the air. Don't let her see you though!
The eggs look like eggs :p They're small, oblong and off-whitish.

I tried to cover my girls enclosure as much as possible for complete privacy - make sure you can have a peep hole to check in on her from time to time. Also, I used organic soil - I remember some ppl have said use a mixture of sand/soil... but honestly, as long as you ensure the sand is moist, it should do the trick. If you think she has laid eggs, gently touch the stomach. It should feel empty - literally - and then you can take out the bin and dig for the eggs.

It's exciting the first time you find the eggs! Just make sure she is WELL hydrated. Spray the enclosure down a few times a day. She will also need calcium but don't over do it. Moderation is key. I would rather give calcium supplementation less and use some leafy greens and veggies to provide natural vitamins and minerals. You can search supplementation and make your own judgment call. Just don't take one persons word for it - research A LOT.

Have fun! Take pics!

From what I have been told the sand needs to be moist and in a 12" by 12" pot to dig in then when she is ready to lay she needs to be moved to a large plastic storage bin with a hole cut in the lid and replaced with screen and a night light over the top to keep her warm I had some good help you can view my page asking for help there is some very good advice here.................................................................................................................... https://www.chameleonforums.com/need-advice-laying-bin-51584/

I personally think this isn't necessary. Although I have heard some do this, why would you take her from her comfortable surroundings? That sounds a little too stressful and unfair to her. I would never do that. But that's me. My girl laid in her enclosure no problem.

I personally think this isn't necessary. Although I have heard some do this, why would you take her from her comfortable surroundings? That sounds a little too stressful and unfair to her. I would never do that. But that's me. My girl laid in her enclosure no problem.

Some females will not lay any other way. Some will only lay if the sand/soil is the lowest part of the cage, so it's more practical to use a bin. I have a stubborn female right now who wouldn't touch her laying bin even after 46 days of cooking the eggies. I believe she dug a test hole yesterday after leaving her in an large 3 foot tall 18 inch diameter round bin. 12+ inches of a moist sand soil mixture with some pothos vines and fake plants in a small little area, a wood piece just in case she wants to dig under a 'tree,' and that green chicken fencing mesh to climb on as well as some of those biovines so she doesn't have to sit on the ground.

Eggs are about the size of jelly beans.

Back
Top Bottom