Laying eggs too long?

Raduska

Hi guys. I decided to get a Cham about 2 months ago. He was 7 months old then. I’ve set up everything the best I could and he seemed doing just fine in his new home. Obviously because he was already 7 months old I didn’t get to bond with him from the begging and so I gave him space and I didn’t take him out, almost never cause he wasn’t happy with it. But something was strange I often found him wondering on the bottom of the cage for hours, so I’ve done some research and found it he’s probably trying to lay eggs.. and therefore it’s a female. His colours and his back legs are telling me the same thing. My problem is, I gave her a tub with some ground in it and she’s been digging for the past 4 days, didn’t eat anything, the crickets are still jumping around, even walking all over her. I’m worried cUse I don’t know how long is it gonna take for her to lay eggs, or if she hasn’t done so already and just keeps adjusting the ground to her liking. I don’t want to take the tub out or go and look for them with my hand cause I would ruin all her work for the past 4 days.

How do I know she layed the eggs already ? I don’t want her to get egg bound either. She seems to have a little lumps by her back legs.

Also she was so tired and filthy I gave her a shower last night and she seemed to enjoy it a lot, didn’t bite or hiss at all and had nice bright colour, didn’t want to go back to her cage either.

What do you guys suggest I do? I’m worried.

cover her the cages sides, paper, cloth, anything. but its a good thing if she cant see you @Brodybreaux25 should be of a lot of help to you seeing that i have minimal experience with female chams.

i did cover the cage but also had to keep an eye on her and give her some water so I dont know what else to do she’s still digging now ‍♀️ She takes little breaks for rest too

If she isn’t obviously smaller she hasn’t laid. Did she ever dig an actual tunnel? Otis she just walking around on the surface.

Post current pics of her and bin

No she’s actually digging. Is there a chance the substrate I gave her isn’t good enough? Plus it’s hard to tell she looks just like usual. When she stretches out you can barely tell she needs to lay eggs. I can only see one lump by her back leg. When she blowes up with anger she looks big but other than that she looks normal. Is she supposed to be super small after the laying? Thanks for taking your time

Attachments

• 3BC9B846-A0FF-4E84-A040-96A742200094.jpeg
    3BC9B846-A0FF-4E84-A040-96A742200094.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 3B8A034E-2C3E-41C1-A473-8C0A7893837A.jpeg
    3B8A034E-2C3E-41C1-A473-8C0A7893837A.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 110
I bought a coco brick from the same shop I have her from. And the bin you can hopefully see it on the picture it’s a size of a bigger ice cream tub. I don’t want to go and measure it now cause I’ll just disturb her again sorry. Basically I’ve done everything o was told to do by the owner of the shop and what I’ve seen on YouTube and so. I just don’t know how long does it normally take for them to lay the eggs. Also I noticed she’s not able to build a tunnel, the ground just keep collapsing. is it a big issue? Thanks

I bought a coco brick from the same shop I have her from. And the bin you can hopefully see it on the picture it’s a size of a bigger ice cream tub. I don’t want to go and measure it now cause I’ll just disturb her again sorry. Basically I’ve done everything o was told to do by the owner of the shop and what I’ve seen on YouTube and so. I just don’t know how long does it normally take for them to lay the eggs. Also I noticed she’s not able to build a tunnel, the ground just keep collapsing. is it a big issue? Thanks
That’s your issue. She still looks gravid and I’m going to say your bin is the problem. Coco fiber is not an acceptable in a lay bin. Go to Home Depot buy a 12x12x12 flower pot and fill it with plain play sand. Then add water slowly mixing the whole time until it holds a tunnel.

If she’s been trying for four days to lay unsuccessfully that explains the exhaustion. She is on the verge of binding if she isn’t already. This needs to be fixed now. Not later this afternoon, now.

That’s your issue. She still looks gravid and I’m going to say your bin is the problem. Coco fiber is not an acceptable in a lay bin. Go to Home Depot buy a 12x12x12 flower pot and fill it with plain play sand. Then add water slowly mixing the whole time until it holds a tunnel.

If she’s been trying for four days to lay unsuccessfully that explains the exhaustion. She is on the verge of binding if she isn’t already. This needs to be fixed now. Not later this afternoon, now.
Alright imma do it now thanks guys. I never intended to get a female because of this but there must have been some mistake in the shop I’m pretty annoyed that they missold me.. thanks for your help I hope it works!

It worked! I gave her a bigger bin, nice and big, with lots of moist play sand in it. She was digging in it last night I could only see her tail sticking out, few hours later only her head. I had a secret look in the cage this morning and found the sand flat, and her sooo skinny on top of it! She’s still adjusting the sand so imma wait for her until she goes up to rest and give her some dusted crickets with calcium and lots of water. Thank you so much for helping you probably saved her life! Thank you!

It worked! I gave her a bigger bin, nice and big, with lots of moist play sand in it. She was digging in it last night I could only see her tail sticking out, few hours later only her head. I had a secret look in the cage this morning and found the sand flat, and her sooo skinny on top of it! She’s still adjusting the sand so imma wait for her until she goes up to rest and give her some dusted crickets with calcium and lots of water. Thank you so much for helping you probably saved her life! Thank you!
Congratulations! Your welcome!

Back
Top Bottom