Laying eggs/gravid?

Fchamel

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello! I went in the room to where my female cham is kept and I couldn't find her. I looked inside her pothos plant and she was IN there. She is almost 6 months. I will insert some photos of her in the plant, and from this morning. Does she look gravid?
IMG_20201017_082749701.jpg

No I am not seeing anything that would indicate that. Do you have rocks covering the soil in the plant? She may be getting in and eating the dirt.

You have a linear UVB correct? Not just the dual dome for UVB and heat?

No I am not seeing anything that would indicate that. Do you have rocks covering the soil in the plant? She may be getting in and eating the dirt.

You have a linear UVB correct? Not just the dual dome for UVB and heat?
Okay, I do not have rocks. I have a linear t8 10.0. But it is not in the photo. it is in front of the basking fixture.

Okay, I do not have rocks. I have a linear t8 10.0. But it is not in the photo. it is in front of the basking fixture.
Ok just make sure with the T8 that the branch below it is about 5-6 inches down for her to get the correct UVI level.

I would add 1 inch or larger rocks on top of the soil if you see she is trying to eat it. She may just be getting to the age where she is exploring her territory more. And if you have not done so yet I would make sure you have a proper lay bin for her in there so she can start getting used to it.

Ok just make sure with the T8 that the branch below it is about 5-6 inches down for her to get the correct UVI level.

I would add 1 inch or larger rocks on top of the soil if you see she is trying to eat it. She may just be getting to the age where she is exploring her territory more. And if you have not done so yet I would make sure you have a proper lay bin for her in there so she can start getting used to it.
Okay, Yes her branches are 5 inches. Can i get rocks from my yard and wash them? I do have soil in my plant. is that okay for a lay bin?

Okay, Yes her branches are 5 inches. Can i get rocks from my yard and wash them? I do have soil in my plant. is that okay for a lay bin?
You can get rocks from your yard. Just wash them up in hot water and let them dry then add them.

Per the lay bin I am going to tag in others to help you with this. You want playsand though for this.

@AmandaS @MissSkittles would you be able to assist with lay bin info along with any female care info the OP may need. :)

You can get rocks from your yard. Just wash them up in hot water and let them dry then add them.

Per the lay bin I am going to tag in others to help you with this. You want playsand though for this.

@AmandaS @MissSkittles would you be able to assist with lay bin info along with any female care info the OP may need. :)
Okay, thank you so much! I thought the soil from the plant was for laying eggs.

Your laybin should be at least 12x9 inches. You want to use moist play sand. It needs to be moist enough to hold but not soaking wet. When you grab a handful and squeeze, only a drop or 2 of water should expel.
You girl will want privacy when laying. She may abandon her tunnel and become egg bound if she sees you watching her. She could dig many test holes until she digs one she likes, then she will back out/ turn around and lay her eggs with her bottom inside the hole, and her head sticking out. After laying her eggs she will bury them back up until she is satisfied. This process may take all day or night. Then she will go back to the top of the enclosure; very dirty, very tired, and probably hungry.
I would feed her as much food as she wants for the next day or 2, and make sure she is watered well. Then cut back food and temps as she will lay less eggs or possiinly stop laying all together.

Your laybin should be at least 12x9 inches. You want to use moist play sand. It needs to be moist enough to hold but not soaking wet. When you grab a handful and squeeze, only a drop or 2 of water should expel.
You girl will want privacy when laying. She may abandon her tunnel and become egg bound if she sees you watching her. She could dig many test holes until she digs one she likes, then she will back out/ turn around and lay her eggs with her bottom inside the hole, and her head sticking out. After laying her eggs she will bury them back up until she is satisfied. This process may take all day or night. Then she will go back to the top of the enclosure; very dirty, very tired, and probably hungry.
I would feed her as much food as she wants for the next day or 2, and make sure she is watered well. Then cut back food and temps as she will lay less eggs or possiinly stop laying all together.
Thank you so much for your help! She dug a hole in her soil in the pothos plant. I am going to get sand tomorrow and make a private spot for her.

Yes, The sand is moist. How do I do a test tunnel?
Just with your hands... Like a kid at the beach :) try digging out a tunnel if it holds its shape the next 48 hours then it should be good. If it caves in on itself then you need to adjust the moisture.

Just with your hands... Like a kid at the beach :) try digging out a tunnel if it holds its shape the next 48 hours then it should be good. If it caves in on itself then you need to adjust the moisture.
Okay, thanks! I will do that! ?(y)

Miss Carly is getting to be a big girl! Her gravid colors are starting to come in! ????

Attachments

• IMG_20201102_073506940.jpg
    IMG_20201102_073506940.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom