Laying bins are VERY important

cloverthechameleon

Avid Member
Hey guys, I have posted in a while but last night and into this morning something kind of odd and unexpected happend. I came home last night and saw my female nosy faly Polly digging in her laying bin. I saw her roaming around the bottom of her cage and searching around a day or 2 before but I thought nothing of it. I thought that was Polly just being Polly, she is a very small adult panther weighing around 60 grams. I had no idea she was gravid as I weighed her 3 days before this and her weight was normal and their was no visible lumps or bloating. Thismorning I dug up her laying bin and their was 24 eggs! Infertile eggs, their would be a possibility of the eggs being fertile as Polly likes to escape her cage and go and sit on the top of my male falys cage once in a while. But the eggs are to small to be fertile. So this little story just goes to show how unexpected female chameleons can lay infertile eggs and how important it is to have a laying bin in their cage.
Thought I would share this, I added a pic of the eggs and Polly after laying the eggs and eating some dubias and wax worms.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 181
I'm glad to hear that Polly is doing well. She's a pretty little lady even after just laying. I stress on here everyday the importance of keeping a laying bin in the enclosure. Often their subtle signs of laying are missed.

May I ask how old she is? I have a baby female veiled and was wondering when to put a bin in for her. Also what substrate did you use that she laid eggs in?

Shes 13 months. Females can develope infertile eggs as early as 6 months. My laying bin substrate is moist playin sand with a bit of potting soil about 4-1 sand to soil ratio. My females seem to like it

Back
Top Bottom