Lay bin ?

eddiboi

I have a female veiled Cham who’s around 6 months old and I’m wanting to get a lay bin started. I have a plant pot that is 11 long by 11 wide. Is this the appropriate size ? Also I’m trying to order some play sand and can’t seem to find the right kind. Can some one send a link to what you use ? Would be very helpful. Alsoo I’ve noticed my baby starting to look a little weak and I think she’s starting to develop eggs, and sadly I wasn’t told the right supplements so I’ve been using the wrong stuff. I’ve ordered some repshay calcium plus loD powder (idk if that’s how you spell it) so hopefully that comes soon so I can start supplementing her correctly. In the meantime I wanted to get some calcium drops. Would that be safe ? And what brand should I get ?

This this the playsand I use, I also mixed soil in for 50/50 ratio. I took the false bottom out of my cage and put my cage on top of a storage container. I modified Jann’s trash can method
https://www.homedepot.com/p/SAKRETE-50-lb-Play-Sand-40100301/202007298

0D619EA1-6780-43CF-80F0-5D3598178C4D.jpeg
258B8E56-AC20-4F96-B311-4618F0513B70.jpeg
5C8F31F8-EEDD-46AE-9CB9-C34DBA9305CA.jpeg
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

I never used calcium drops, I just dusted calcium without d3 ever feeding to help my girl recover. So maybe some can give advice on the drops

Thank you ! And ikr XDD
I hope this helps. My female was severely neglected by her old owner so I understand how you feel not having the right supplements. The Repashy you ordered is someone I use as well and sticky tongue outdoor calcium powered. Have you tried Black soldier fly larva yet? Those are amazing for gravid females will help with calcium

This this the playsand I use, I also mixed soil in for 50/50 ratio. I took the false bottom out of my cage and put my cage on top of a storage container. I modified Jann’s trash can method
https://www.homedepot.com/p/SAKRETE-50-lb-Play-Sand-40100301/202007298

View attachment 233361View attachment 233362View attachment 233363https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

I never used calcium drops, I just dusted calcium without d3 ever feeding to help my girl recover. So maybe some can give advice on the drops
How do you go about taking the bottom off? And does it pop back in? (Sorry for all the questions btw I hope you’re enjoying your Saturday!)

I hope this helps. My female was severely neglected by her old owner so I understand how you feel not having the right supplements. The Repashy you ordered is someone I use as well and sticky tongue outdoor calcium powered. Have you tried Black soldier fly larva yet? Those are amazing for gravid females will help with calcium
No i actually haven’t tried those. Where do you get them from?

I need to just suck it up and dive deep into females tbh. They scare me idk why? I'm just always afraid I'll screw up with them and their lifespans are just so short in comparison to the males I keep.
They scare me too ! I just don’t want to screw something up either, they are so fragile. I was hoping to get a male but they didn’t know her sex at petsmart so I ended up with a girl. I do really want to get a male in the future and hopefully for her to breed with

I need to just suck it up and dive deep into females tbh. They scare me idk why? I'm just always afraid I'll screw up with them and their lifespans are just so short in comparison to the males I keep.
Yes I understand what you are saying. Females come with extra caution just because of the egg laying. Imelda’s care is way more stressful then Larry’s just because of the laying bin, but it’s worth it when you see her digging to lay her eggs them coming back up all dirty :love:
No i actually haven’t tried those. Where do you get them from?
Rainbow steals my money lol. They are also called Phoenix worms and BSFL. My chams love them
https://www.rainbowmealworms.net/phoenix-worms/

thank y’all for helping! If anyone wants to chime in about about calcium drops that would be so great, I’m trying to get it as soon as possible

They scare me too ! I just don’t want to screw something up either, they are so fragile. I was hoping to get a male but they didn’t know her sex at petsmart so I ended up with a girl. I do really want to get a male in the future and hopefully for her to breed with
We are always looking for quality veild breeders on this site. Just make sure you know what your doing on that front before you go down that road.

We usually reserve liquid calcium for chams with apparent MBD due to it being highly concentrated and dangerous if administered incorrectly. On top of that if she hadn’t been getting the right amount of D3 prior to this she wouldn’t be able to metabolize the calcium anyway.

Do you have the option of letting her sit outside in the unfiltered sunlight for a couple hours every day or two? This would get her D3 levels in check quickly.

We can give you advice to your specific situation if you fill out the form below.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

We usually reserve liquid calcium for chams with apparent MBD due to it being highly concentrated and dangerous if administered incorrectly. On top of that if she hadn’t been getting the right amount of D3 prior to this she wouldn’t be able to metabolize the calcium anyway.

Do you have the option of letting her sit outside in the unfiltered sunlight for a couple hours every day or two? This would get her D3 levels in check quickly.

We can give you advice to your specific situation if you fill out the form below.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.
Oh okay, I’m Not fully sure if she has MBD or not. But I do know that the lights I’ve been using aren’t correct and neither were the supplements, the calcium powder I was but still am using is the repti cal calcium with Vit. D3. Every two weeks. (Ive ordered repshay calcium loD, just waiting for it to come in) I just thought seeing as she wasn’t getting the right amount of calcium that it might be a good boost for her. (If I’m wrong please correct me)

Yes I do have a way to sit her outside for a few hours and I took her out today for about half an hour. She’s gets scared outside because of the heavy traffic on my road and I’m trying to find a less noisy but still sunny spot for her Atm

The help form will be in next post

Chameleon Info:

Veiled Cham, female, estimated 6 months. She’s been in my care a little over 2 months
She used to come out every other day or so up until about a week ago. And now the only time she comes to the front of her cage is for food
I’m feeding her med/ large crickets everyday about 5-10 ( no more than 10 now) depending on how many she wants. (Before I was feeding her way too much but now I’ve put her on a “diet”. Before I was feeding maybe 10-15 a day) I gutload my feeders with fresh greens, usually a mix of different kinds with sometimes carrots, squash and zucchini, watermelon, blueberries. Just whatever I have at the time, and sprinkle it with calcium powder and some cricket diet from fluckers. Should I switch to every other day seeing as shes 6 months ? Or should I wait a little longer?
Right now I’m using calcium with vit d3 from rep cal every two weeks. Nothing else at the moment I just recently figured out she’s needs way more than just that. I’ve ordered repshay calcium loD which I will be using soon
I hand spray her cage atm (investing in a misting system) I usually spray for atleast a minute maybe More every few hours I’d say every 2-3 hours
Her fecal looks good. Poop is firm and looks normal. Her urate is mostly white with occasional yellow/ orange but not much.

Cage Info:

All screen, it’s two feet wide and a foot tall if I’m not wrong ( I am definitely upgrading soon but trying to decide between a build and buying one)
I have a double dome fixture (the one from zoomeds Cham kit) and a daylight blue bulb by zoomed 60w, and a zoomed reptisun 5.0 ubv bulb

Her basking area is around 83-85 during the day and the bottom of her cage gets to 78
Lowest over night temp has been near 50 but never lower. I have a all living things “temp gun”? Idk what it’s exactly called but you push this little button at a spot and it tells you the temp.

Her humidity is usually around 40- 60 it Varys everyday. I use a hand mister for the humidity. I have a temp and humidity gauge at the top of her cage near her basking spot
Live plants. A pothos (If I’m correct) and a money tree
In my room in the corner. Her “section” is blocked off by curtains so she has privacy. only a ceiling fan in the room and shes not by vents. Medium traffic area I’m trying to convince my gma to let me keep her in the living room. She’s pretty high up the top of her cage goes past the top of my head.
North Carolina

Her starting to seem weak, and less coordinated. Just really worried that she’ll become egg bound or mbd or something from wrong supplementation and lighting. I really can’t loose this baby she’s very special to me and my family. I just want the best for her

Back
Top Bottom