Laxative

WyteAnjal

Is there anything I can use as a laxative for my baby, she hasnt had a bowel movement for about a week and a half. I tried giving her a warm bath everyday but its not helping, her belly seems to be getting bigger and bigger but nothing coming out. I have stopped feeding her right now until she passes something otherwise Im afraid she is going to get blocked up.

Is Xlax okay for them? or maybe some kind of bran coated crickets?

She will eat anything that comes into her cage sometimes she will try to eat your finger lol. And I see her drinking quite well, she seems perfectly healthy otherwise moving around the cage lots not irritable or anything like that, but i know she should be passing something.

In another thread you mentioned soil....do you have a substrate in the cage? Is the chameleon producing a white part (urates)...or nothing at all?

I removed the soil right when I found out. She has a " fake grass " for the bottom of her cage, basically golf green mat like the stuff on the driving ranges. I got it from the pet store. She is producing very small amounts of urate and I have seen small little fece's here and there but nothing substantial

I removed the soil right when I found out. She has a " fake grass " for the bottom of her cage, basically golf green mat like the stuff on the driving ranges. I got it from the pet store. She is producing very small amounts of urate and I have seen small little fece's here and there but nothing substantial
Those tend to be hard to clean and can rip nails. I would just use paper towel.

Could you fill out the form?
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Belly getting bigger, becoming more active, not eating as much, female. Has nobody considered this animal may be gravid and not constipated? I'm not saying it is, but lets not jump to conclusions.

Trace, that's why I asked how old the "baby" is. If this animal is more than 4 months old, I think the possibility that she's gravid has to be considered.

Good call, Trace! You got me looking and I found this thread that says she has been with owner for 6 months and shows the photo...definitely could be gravid...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/tia-doing-awsome-53701/

WyteAnjal...Do you have a place in her cage for her to dig in to show you that she needs to lay eggs? If not you need to get one there now...today..right away...and hope you aren't too late.

I dont have anything in her cage for her to dig in because I dont want her licking it up if crickets jump in it. I can get a pail of sand to put her in but I read that if she is gravid you should be able to distinctly feel round lumps in her belly, when I massage her belly I feel nothing like that just her guts (feels like strings on her intestines) I hope Im not wrong about this. The reason I said she was constipated was because I check her enclosure every day for any feces so I can get it out right away but I havent seen any in a week.

I am going to look more into the gravid theory and see if she is showing more signs because what I read so far doesnt sound like she is gravid to me. Thank you for all your input

If she is gravid and you don't give her a place to lay the eggs at the time she needs it she will likely die eggbound.

Can you post a couple of photos of her please.

I just removed all the rocks from her large plant in her cage

Here are some new photos

IMG_3039.jpg

IMG_3033.jpg

IMG_3032.jpg

She wouldnt get off the door part so I couldnt open it up to take better pics today the first is from a couple days ago

Okay just got her door open here are some more pictures

When she gets angry at me she releases all air and looks like this from the back

IMG_3052.jpg

Here is her belly relaxed

IMG_3047.jpg

From the side

IMG_3046.jpg

And Full body

IMG_3045.jpg

Sorry if it is too much, I just want to be as descriptive as possible. As most of you know she is my first chameleon and no matter how much I read cant count as much as your guys experience

Thanks again

I think you should have a laying bin in there. Of course, I think any female of egg laying age should have a laying bin. It's just not worth the risk.

Back
Top Bottom