Latest Edition of "A few of my chams"

Chris Anderson

Dr. House of Chameleons
Well, I haven't posted photos of any animals in my collection in a while so here is goes. I limited it to a photo of each species for those of you still on dialup.

This is my juvenile female Calumma p. parsonii. She's a fat little thing with beautiful blue coloration:
4955182354_d905b01c85_o.jpg

This is a female Kinyongia tenue (previously Bradypodion tenue - article to explain change in next E-Zine issue to be released in a week or two). These are a truly amazing and beautiful species:
3860217161_9555d779cd_o.jpg

This is a male Kinyongia fischeri sub.spec.nov. There is a paper in press reviewing the fischeri complex and I expect this subspecies will be formally described in it.
4954871384_8700ea6e49_o.jpg

This is a female Kinyongia f. fischeri finishing up a shed. The largest of the Fischer's subspecies, they have incredibly long tails:
4954610199_99e9442924_o.jpg

This is a juvenile male Kinyongia fischeri multituberculatum. I love the dorsal crest at this age:
4954621081_d6c630a391_o.jpg

This is an adult male Kinyongia uthmoelleri. Great coloration in these guys!:
4954628635_f74720b88d_o.jpg

This is a male Chamaeleo (Trioceros) tempeli. This species is ovoviviparous and has a double gular crest:
4955227168_7753bfcc8a_o.jpg

This is a male Chamaeleo (Trioceros) hoehnelii. This has always been a favorite species of mine:
4954645823_0fe9ba898c_o.jpg

This is a nice subadult CB Chamaeleo (Trioceros) melleri. She's changed coloration quite a bit as she's grown and is an impressive animal now:
4955242920_8ea6dbd035_o.jpg

This is a male Furcifer cephalolepis. I currently have him for sale but am thinking I might hold onto him. Cool little chameleon:
4955122358_64ace36f92_o.jpg

This is a male Rhampholeon spinosum (I actually sold this particular specimen but its the best pic I'd ever gotten of this species and its a good representation of those I still have). Talk about a difficult species to photograph and incredible color and morphology:
4954663353_29fed06585_o.jpg

This is a female Rhampholeon (Rhampholeon) spectrum:
4955264178_7a0f5c14ed_o.jpg

This is a young male Rhampholeon (Rhampholeon) temporalis. Cute little CB with some nice green coloration:
4955274828_5277b5c75b_o.jpg

This is a nice male Brookesia thieli. This species is a lot less active then a lot of other members of this genus but I still enjoy them. This male was playing dead after I picked him up:
4954713035_e2a09759e9_o.jpg

This is a juvenile female Brookesia superciliaris. These guys are really interesting!:
4954713087_85b08e6df6_o.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed the pics!

Chris

Last edited:
All I can say is WOW, what a beautiful collection you have Chis. I would love to have a large variety like that one day. They all look so interesting.

Great collection!

I am a fan of the e-zine, especially the articles on feeders since I am a nut about alternative feeders. I love seeing my chams react to fresh meat! Great job with the mag and I look forward to the next issue.

Chameleonstree - Of the 16 species pictured, I have CB or F1 imported specimens of 12 of them. Not all the specimens I have of each of those species are necessarily CB or F1 imports but at least some of those I have of those species are. I'm still far off breeding parsonii. I was close a little over a year ago (gravid female) but my group was killed in a CO leak.

Jewel - Thanks for the comments! I really enjoy the diversity and am particularly fond of all the species I have!

flpanther - Glad you like the E-Zine. The next issue is close. I have all the articles, I'm just in the process of editing them all so it should be out soon!

Chris

Amazing!!

:eek: Awesome collection. Hopefully you can breed each and every species you have and try to increase the species availability in near future!!

Thanks bg77 and pohchunyee! Kinyonga-She is a CB from Kristina Lucas' clutch. With all the babies from that clutch, she was able to make good guesses on sexes based on tail base. I refer to her as female based on Kristina's designation as such.

Chris

i also have a fischer

does yours like to be handled? do u gave any problems with feeding?

Niki,

Which are you referring to specifically? I am very hands off with my animals and handle them as little as possible. I've not had any real problems with feeding but even when I have, adding an unusual feeder for a while has always gotten the animal feeding normal again. I also completely avoid feeders like mealworms and waxworms which tend to have animals refuse other feeders for.

Chris

Niki,

I just saw your user image and the subject you entered. Looks like you're talking about the undescribed fischeri. My male opens his mouth and will run and jump when I try to pick him up. My other fischeri don't do this but I don't know that I'd paint that as a subspecies trait rather then individual animal's personalities. Is yours particularly shy?

Chris

Thanks for the reply, Chris. I'm always interested in how people sex meller's. I have heard that Kristina has a way to sex them.

One more question...do you know how the name kinyongia come about as the new name for some of the species?

Last edited:
yup

mine hates when my hand even comes the slightest inch away from him. He has only ate of my hand once and that was because u think he was starving to death because i just got him. He runs away every chance he gets. I rarely see him eat anything, but the crickets i put in dissapear. U have tried mealworms and superworms, but he hasn't taken interest. O well he's a cutie when he licks his vines what can i say. Anything useful u can tell me about?:p

Kinyonga - The species designated into the new genus Kinyongia live primarily in Swahili spoken areas. Kinyonga is Swahili for chameleon so they latinized it by adding -ia to the end and are using that for the genus.

Niki - If yours is like mine, I wouldn't worry about him not hand feeding. My main recommendations would be to make sure his cage has plenty of foliage, leave him alone as much as possible and mist him heavily a few times a day.

Chris

Post some pictures of your setups.
Im about to make leaf/pygmy cham setup, and get my self pair of them.
I need some input on that. Can you please post your detail setup pic.
Thanks

Chris..I knew that kinyonga was Swahili for chameleon..I chose it to post under it just because of that. I wondered if it was chosen for those chameleons because primarily in Swahili spoken areas where they live.Thanks!

The R. spinosum are awesome! Are they difficult to keep?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom