Lack of chameleon knowledge

jeff138

First off I want to say I joined this forum not long ago but have been amazed at peoples lack of knowledge for these animals. I am not saying I know it all but come on people some of the horror story's I hear on here make me sad and out right angry!!! If you are going to get any type of exotic pet please do lots of research first. I own two Veiled Chameleons and have read and studied about these animals long before I even thought about bringing one home. Please if you are going to purchase a chameleon do some research make sure you have the time, room and understanding of what it takes to really make these animals thrive and have a happy life and environment. If your not sure about something ask someone on here or myself don't trust what pet stores have to say there are great ones out there but most of them just want your money!! thanks for listening

Jeff

We hear you Jeff, many of the stories you refer to happened to folk who only discovered this forum after they bought an animal for whatever reason and something went wrong.
On the upside, they arrived at the right place to correct the problem. This forum offers a vast collective knowledge pool and caring passionate support for those willing to accept it.
What you describe will unfortunately always be the case, but we try to make a difference.
Cheers :)

Unfortunately the people who need this message are not going to be on here reading it.And if they are its either too late or they are already doing research so its a pointless post.:)

haha there should be a test for when you go to the store and if you don't pass no cham for you :p someone needs to get on that asap :p

Most people on here already have them when they join... I see your point, but it's not really practical. They're not going to return the chameleon to the store once they realize the research they need to do, then buy another one. This would be more suitable posted in pet stores before the actual purchase than on here. Many first chams are impulse buys (like mine was). At least they have the opportunity to get on track here.

many have already said it man. the come to this forum site when it's too late, but we do awesome jobs at helping others to better the issues. but that doesn't mean that accidents don't happen to experienced keepers as well. Chameleons are delicate creatures to begin with, and no matter what experience you have, there will always be an issue here and there, does that make them inexperienced? there are also junior members on this site with heafty collections of chameleons, that have been keeping them for quite sometime, but just recently joined the forum.

dont underestimate someones status, it is only an icon and an access level, it means nothing about what you know. so that's why the main purpose is to help eachother out the same, to better cham keeping, and extend what we already know about the animals.

Part of the problem is that the stores are just interested in selling the animal. They don't really care if the person is ready to keep a chameleon. In fact, they will make it seem like the easiest thing in the world to do. They send the customer out the door with a $70 chameleon and $250 of supplies that they assure the buyer will be everything ever needed.

That will, of course, include lots of expensive things that don't benefit the chameleon at all.

It is true about all the horror stories.I found this forum A couple years after keeping chams .I can say it has helped with my cham keeping. I tell anybody that want to own A cham to get on this forums and read!!!! There is much to learn from others mistakes, as well as others accomplishments.

haha there should be a test for when you go to the store and if you don't pass no cham for you :p someone needs to get on that asap :p

Cool story about this. My girlfriend went to an expo to pick up my cham for me because I had to work. The person she bought it from actually quized her and because she remembered all my little rants of research she got it for a nice discount because so many people have no idea what he's asking them.

Most people on here already have them when they join... I see your point, but it's not really practical. They're not going to return the chameleon to the store once they realize the research they need to do, then buy another one. This would be more suitable posted in pet stores before the actual purchase than on here. Many first chams are impulse buys (like mine was). At least they have the opportunity to get on track here.

i'd like to be the exception! i've been researching panther chameleons for awhile now and this forum has been very very helpful. theres so much information on here!! I'm finally ready to own my first panther cham, hopefully i will have one by this weekend!

Thoughts echoed, but unfortunately these word will probably fall on deaf ears. If they are the type of people you are describing they wouldn't read or understand what you are trying to say. That's why they are in the position they are in know...... It's unfair to the animals. :(

Back
Top Bottom