Kinyongia v. sleeping during the day?

Deevo

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon -
Kinyongia vosseleri, male, 9 months I think?
How long has it been in your care?
Since June (6months)
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Rarely.. once or twice a month maybe
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? -
I feed him crickets, mealworms, waxworms, hornworms, silkworms, superworm, dubais (have not seen him eat a dubai yet though). They are gutloaded on Repashy gutload formula, cricket quencher, apples, collard greens etc.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders?
I supplement with Repashy calcium plus every feeding and use a Zoo Med multivitamin powder once every other month.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I use a little dripper that he drinks from and I hand mist. Humidity is usually around 50-80%.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
White with black/brownish. He has never been tested for parasites.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
I bought him from a pet store in june. I was told he was 3 months old.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
I have the medium zoo-med repti-breeze. 16x16x30
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Exo-terra 5.0 coil UVB bulb, Exo-terra 25W basking bulb. Lights on a timer going on at 7:00 am and go off at 9:00 pm.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
His basking spot is around 85* and the top portion of his cage around 80*. Lowest overnight temp is 70-75*. I really want to get a laser-thermometer.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
I hand mist and use a dripper. I have a temperature and humidity gauge.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
I have an full and fairly dense umbrella tree with de-barked cedar twigs, wooden ladders and different width vines.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
My cage sits on my dresser level with a big window. There is an air vent below the dresser. I spend a lot of time coming in and out of my room though the day.
Location - Where are you geographically located?
I am located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Carl is sleeping with one eye open during the day. He goes to his usual sleeping area and just hangs out there. I'm not sure if this is normal behaviour for his species or he's just fine. He also has not been eating in front of me as much as he used to. During the morning he basks under his uvb for about 30 mins and then he is usually very active moving around and just hanging out. But every now and then I catch him taking these little one-eyed open naps.
I should add I have noticed he naps around the same time 4-4:30pm. I am hoping this is just a seasonal transition thing. About a half hour after writing this he was back and moving around. Perhaps it's his way of thermal regulating?

did you solve this problem? Post a pic if you want me to help you better. I don't use coil bulbs.

It sounds like parasites to me, you mentioned he's never been tested. I've seen chams come in with round worms that would sit with their eyes closed during the day. After panacur treatment they were fine.

Leland

Back
Top Bottom