kinyongia boehmei issues!

JG1

Hey guys i recently have bought a kinyongia boehmei. Im a little worried about some of his behaviour just because i haven't seen a chameleon i have kept do it before. He seems to have stopped now but at first he was digging? and sometimes he is lazy with one eye keeping it shut, i have also seen him chew a cricket but then spit it out, i have adjusted cricket sizes but i haven't seen him eat yet. Is any of this behaviour normal to this species? i have got the correct temperature and everything else, just seems there isn't a lot of information around on this species?

cheers JG:(

He was most likely one of the supposed 'CB@ ones bought over by peregrine livefoods. I think it is more likely he is captive farmed.

I have no experience with this species but the eye problem could be down to his uv bulb or he may have something in it.

How often are you misting? What uv are you using coil,tube? What type of cage is he in?

This species needs it in the mid 70f basking spot around 83f. He's probably trying to escape from his cage, They need bigger cages because they're a very active chameleon.

Hey guys i recently have bought a kinyongia boehmei. Im a little worried about some of his behaviour just because i haven't seen a chameleon i have kept do it before. He seems to have stopped now but at first he was digging? and sometimes he is lazy with one eye keeping it shut, i have also seen him chew a cricket but then spit it out, i have adjusted cricket sizes but i haven't seen him eat yet. Is any of this behaviour normal to this species? i have got the correct temperature and everything else, just seems there isn't a lot of information around on this species?

cheers JG:(

Sounds like he is a very recent import that hasn't been caged, hasn't been fed domestically produced insects, and is stressing out about all of it.

I agree...digging may be attempts to get out of the cage. Fischeri are very active and hate confinement! My first ones were always trying to escape a cage regardless how large it was. They would even squeeze through seams in the mesh. Took weeks for them to settle down.

The closed eye could be due to dehydration or possibly a minor injury he got while trying to escape. Flush it with sterile saline (contact lens rinse without preservatives) as it will sting less than plain water and can help him flush any debris out. Watch the eye for any discharge or swelling and raise your humidity level.

If you dust your crix too heavily it probably tastes bad or gritty and he won't eat it. Some gutload contents change the taste of the insect too. More fruit in the gutload makes them taste a bit sweeter. If your insect gutloading is good you won't need to rely on dusting as much. And, with fischeri you want to be very careful not to over dust anyway. They are sensitive to supplements. If I have a picky eater who rejects dusted crix I've found that instead of coating the whole insect (shake and bake in a baggie) I put the crix that are about to be fed into a container with a little dust in the bottom and gently press them down into the dust so it sticks to the underside of the insect...not the top where it is more visible.

Back
Top Bottom