kind of weird feeding situation.......

JGspecial

Established Member
so my veiled chameleon is fully grown and had a shooting issue. hes kind of uncoordinated so im giving him tiny bits of vitamin A on extremely rare occasions. while im seeing if this works sometimes i when idont see him eating i make him eat just to make sure he has a properly gut loaded food intake. while i was giving him a rather large dubia roach it basically committed suicide and ran down his throat right into his belly, basically, he never chewed the damned thing. should i be worried at all? do you think he will have an issue, or do you think the chameleons stomach acids will just immediately kill it and start breaking it down? he didnt seem hurt by it at all, it just scared the living hell out of me. some input would help me out if you have any, thanks guys. also, before people fly off the handle and start thinking im abusive, very rarely do i force food into his mouth i usually just make him hiss or gape and i shove a bug in. his temperament is great (as far as veileds go) and he isnt afraid of me.

Same thing happened to me, sort of...

My veiled ate an adult male dubia once (gradually brought him up to eating that size without issues) and I saw him chomp the dubia around the midsection, then swallow it. Apparently it didn't die, because a minute later he puked it back up and it was STILL ALIVE. My theory as to why he puked it up is that I had friends over at the time, so he was most likely startled.

I think he should be fine, worst case scenario he passes a less-than-digested dubia in a couple days. Just keep an eye out that he doesnt get constipated from eating too-large food, so keep him well hydrated.

Hope this helps!
Sarah

Back
Top Bottom