Killer almonds??!!

Can i throw some gas on the fire...

ALL CA almonds are irradiated by law, so they are technically dead even if they are unroasted/boiled. So if you want the best hippie hand picked almonds at $20 a pound, look for "live" or "living" almonds, they are the only ones not irradiated. oh and 90% of almonds come from CA so good luck on that.

That's only the law in the USA :)

Yes, sorry I forget that this is a worldwide forum sometimes. The USA is the country with the most laws regulating food. You'd think that our citizens would be very healthy, but it is the opposite.

Glad to hear you haven't seen a problem with produce killing your feeders in Canada. It happens in the USA quite frequently, since most produce is sprayed with pesticides here, and even the organic can be contaminated with it.

I've lost thousands of crickets over the years due to pesticides on produce.

Mike Fisher said...glad to hear you haven't had a problem with produce killing your feeders in Canada...while I haven't had anything kill my feeders I have lost reptiles to produce issues and to what was fed to the insects.

while I haven't had anything kill my feeders I have lost reptiles to produce issues and to what was fed to the insects.

That sucks. I've lost reptiles to "unknown causes" that might be attributable to that. Most recently liver failure in a young chameleon that can't be traced to any known reason.

Lost several turtles/tortoises to greens that the store didn't pull that were contaminated with bacteria and people were losing chameleons likely due to what the crickets were being raised on by the breeders since the losses seemed to stop when the food was changed. It was quite a while ago and hasn't happened since...thank goodness.

awful. heat-breaking.

And if the bugs and reptiles are impacted / dying, its likely harming people too.

I must complain less about the weeds and rabbits invading my garden, and appreciate more that I have the opportunity to safely grow some of my own food /my bugs food.

The nuts I use are raw nuts from either sun harvest or whole foods bulk bins. I always look for organic and raw ingredients.
Hi Guys,

I haven't posted for awhile because a new member from another country was really a real jerk! Had to take a break, since this guy should have been reprimanded! But I guess thats the way it is?

Anyway , I have started a hornworm colony I started from your blog guidelines. The worms have dug into the dirt now, hopefully to become moths soon.
However I found the worms did not want to eat the kale, lettuce, wild grape or mulberry leaves I gave them? they would ONLY eat carrots and tomato leaves since they had been only on tomato plants.
The young hatched (hopefully) from the moths ? What will they eat?
Can I give them almonds? i just don't want to go to all this time and trouble and not have something they eat?

(Hope I didn't type anything that might offend anyone! To anyone that may be offended , Please please, please forgive me. If I typed anything that might have been deemed as intrusive or spamming, it was not intended so.
Or if I did not tell anyone that their photo was real real really nice or commented on their photo before I typed this reply to this thread, so please please please forgive me in advance !)

I have noticed some dead cricks after giving them greens from the grocery store, very soon after eating it. It can only be pesticides because I can see the cricks 'convulsing' turning over on their backs, and twitching just like a bug does when you spray it with Raid!! :eek:

From now on, I make sure the lable says USDA certified organic!!

I have noticed some dead cricks after giving them greens from the grocery store, very soon after eating it. It can only be pesticides because I can see the cricks 'convulsing' turning over on their backs, and twitching just like a bug does when you spray it with Raid!! :eek:

I've lost whole batches of 1,000 crickets to that.

It makes me wonder if this has something to do with short lifespans in some chams??!!
Or wost case, sudden death?? :confused:

Hi Guys,

I haven't posted for awhile because a new member from another country was really a real jerk! Had to take a break, since this guy should have been reprimanded! But I guess thats the way it is?

Anyway , I have started a hornworm colony I started from your blog guidelines. The worms have dug into the dirt now, hopefully to become moths soon.
However I found the worms did not want to eat the kale, lettuce, wild grape or mulberry leaves I gave them? they would ONLY eat carrots and tomato leaves since they had been only on tomato plants.
The young hatched (hopefully) from the moths ? What will they eat?
Can I give them almonds? i just don't want to go to all this time and trouble and not have something they eat?

(Hope I didn't type anything that might offend anyone! To anyone that may be offended , Please please, please forgive me. If I typed anything that might have been deemed as intrusive or spamming, it was not intended so.
Or if I did not tell anyone that their photo was real real really nice or commented on their photo before I typed this reply to this thread, so please please please forgive me in advance !)

They won't eat nuts. I have successfully fed them romaine lettuce, red bell pepper, carrots, yellow squash, dandelion greens, green leaf lettuce, butternut squash and sweet potato.

Back
Top Bottom