Kicking the wax worm addiction...

crosseyes

I've searched and did not come up with anything useful.

Does anyone have some helpful hints and tips on getting a chameleon off a wax worm addiction. I fed my one Panther a bunch of wax worms to gain some weight but now seems it is all he will eat.

I know this is a common occurrence but wondered if anyone had solutions that worked for them. Would love to get him eating Dubias again!

I'm about to send him to rehab! I took his wax worms away, now he is stealing money from my wallet and buying them himself. ;)

Simple. Stop offering waxworms. They are a crap feeder anyhow. Offer only nutritious feeders. Eventually, when the chameleon gets hungry, it will eat other things. If this is a now healthy adult chameleon, it should be able to go a week easily without eating, so dont expect the chameleon to give up wanting his candy right away! and dont give in right away either! You are not starving the chameleon so long as you are indeed offering feeders and water. Instead, it is choosing not to eat perfectly acceptable food because it wants the yummy fatty but unhealthy waxworm. You may find the transition easier to use butterworms and silkworms as the substitute. No harm offering dubia or crickets of course, but your chameleon may be more stubborn for longer switch back to those.

Back
Top Bottom