Crickets vs Horned Worms

Our 4-yr-old male veiled has gradually gone off of crickets - won't eat them at all now (he's never gone for roaches). We've been feeding him wax worms but noting he seems thin. Our local reptile store suggested horn worms and he LOVES them. However, I've read they are not as nutritious? Is it ok to just keep feeding him these (we add calcium every other feeding and a multi with D3 every 3rd feeding or so)? I'm hoping we can re-introduce crickets at some point...

Can you post a few pics of him so we can see his size?

Hornworms are ok to do a few a week but I would not do a diet of just this. They will make fecals very runny. If he is more interested in worms then Silkworms would be a great option.

What is your normal supplementation routine? You want to add calcium without D3 at every feeding and then use a multivitamin that has D3 and vitamin A only 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th.

Can you post a few pics of him so we can see his size?

Hornworms are ok to do a few a week but I would not do a diet of just this. They will make fecals very runny. If he is more interested in worms then Silkworms would be a great option.

What is your normal supplementation routine? You want to add calcium without D3 at every feeding and then use a multivitamin that has D3 and vitamin A only 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th.
Hmm, don't think our shop sells Silkworms but I'll ask. Sounds like we're doing well (re: frequency) wtih the multi with D3 and Vit A but need to do the calcium a bit more.

Attachments

• 20230313_100116.jpg
    20230313_100116.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 61
  • 20230313_100121.jpg
    20230313_100121.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 62
Hmm, don't think our shop sells Silkworms but I'll ask. Sounds like we're doing well (re: frequency) wtih the multi with D3 and Vit A but need to do the calcium a bit more.
For the silkworms you need to order them. If you can get some pics without the cage in between so I can see the thickness to his limbs and then his face with the casque from the side and straight on. This is how we tell if they are too thin or too fat.

Is that a red heat bulb? If so you will want to swap that out for a regular white bulb. The red is bad for their eyes.

For the silkworms you need to order them. If you can get some pics without the cage in between so I can see the thickness to his limbs and then his face with the casque from the side and straight on. This is how we tell if they are too thin or too fat.

Is that a red heat bulb? If so you will want to swap that out for a regular white bulb. The red is bad for their eyes.
Ok, I'll swap out the red for a white bulb, thanks. I'm at work now, but will send additional pics this afternoon.

Ok, I'll swap out the red for a white bulb, thanks. I'm at work now, but will send additional pics this afternoon.
Here are some pics. He wasn't too happy (usually wait for him to come to me - I pulled him out and had my phone in his face).

Attachments

• 20230313_165615.jpg
    20230313_165615.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230313_165717.jpg
    20230313_165717.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230313_165819.jpg
    20230313_165819.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230313_165721.jpg
    20230313_165721.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 62
There are a few different places to buy silkworms on line. Check the forum sponsors.
I’m not so sure he needs silkworms, wax worms or other worms right now. He looks pretty hefty. You can tell from his puffed out casque and cheeks. The video below should help. I would offer him the feeders that he needs rather than the ones he wants. He wants to eat the bug equivalent of candy and you may have to practice some tough love. To help him lose a little bit of his heft, you should probably be feeding him just 2-3 feeders, 3 days a week. You’ll want to get your multivitamins and D3 on a better schedule too. Phosphorus free calcium without D3 lightly dusted at every feeding. One feeding every other week you’ll use your combo multivitamin with D3.

Follow the info @MissSkittles gave you. Your boy is not thin at all. He is actually quite obese. Make sure supplementation is correct and you are not overdoing the multivitamin. When they are this obese they can have issues with renal function and if you are over supplementing them they can decline further. I would not give any wax worms they are a fatty feeder. He may be going off crickets due to his size and weight. It will not hurt him to even refuse to eat for a week or two. Crickets would be an ideal feeder just because they are lower in fat content.

Try Dubias! I get mine from dubiaroaches.com you can get great bucks and supplies for good prices and it’s some of the greatest quality out there! Definitely peach fuzz approved (my chameleon)

Puff Daddy! I love when a 150 gram lizard puffs up and hisses at me. I just ATE a 450 gram Steak and Cheese sub - Learn your place in the food chain, reptile!

I just got some small silkies from Beast Mode, and they were great. I ordered 25, and they shipped like 50, with food, and my guy Lenny eats every one that I put in his bowl. I was told they're the most nutritious, but who knows. They never really got too big, so I ordered mediums this time around.

Back
Top Bottom