Keeping roaches

I'm of the belief that colonies self cull. My colony has been growing and growing, but it definitely won't outgrow it's space. I have a feeling they keep themselves in check when they realize there's nowhere to go.

But I have no idea if that's true.

Just something I've observed in the last couple years.

That is a good thought royden. Many animals do that. The females stop laying or sharply reduce the amount of babies. Anyway, I hope so. I am going to start a colony in a couple weeks. After my vacation sounds like a good plan.

If you feel you have too many Dubia and can't or aren't feeding them off fast enough then just cool the temps in the tub and slow down on the food you provide. This will stop them from mating as much and slow the growth of the smaller dubia. Then keep another bin where you gut load some dubia before feeding off.

ok, so now that I have in my mind the possibilty that the males actually can fly.... do you dubia breeders use lids on your tubs??? I have to make sure they can't get out. I think I would freak out with flying roaches!!! lol!

ok, so now that I have in my mind the possibilty that the males actually can fly.... do you dubia breeders use lids on your tubs??? I have to make sure they can't get out. I think I would freak out with flying roaches!!! lol!

Deb they don't FLY....... If you drop one they'll flap their wings and flutter to the ground or if they are high up in a cage they try to flutter to the other side.... they aren't like a house fly and zipping around the house.:p:D

I do keep a lip on my tank but I don't keep anything in the tank that would allow them to get any altitude.

my roomate angel carries them around the house. she says they remind her of the roach in the movie wall-e. the males flutter there wings when startled, but cant actualy take flight. they will stay on her arm for hours. i think they might even like it. i personaly think it is a little freaky. she says next time i order she wants a hisser for a pet.

I've never witnessed them even using their wings at all, but I'd like to keep it that way. I've heard reports from some people on this forum that have found male dubias in high, hard-to-reach places when they don't keep a lid on their bin. By all accounts though, it's a very rare event.

ok that is really good to know..... lol! I am sure I will get over the whole fear like I did with the super worms!

HA...HA...HA...KEVIN!! lol! No I plan to pick some up at the show.My husband better have a camera ready though when I get them home and release them into there tank! I bet there will be some Americas Funniest Home Video worthy clips there!

What are water crystals? Can you not just use the orange gel stuff that they water crickets with? So gimme the jist of a setup. or someone have pics? This is really helpful. I will be getting some nymphs on Thurs. At what age/size are they breedable and is there a way to sex them (Im assuming only males have wings?)

What are water crystals? Can you not just use the orange gel stuff that they water crickets with? So gimme the jist of a setup. or someone have pics? This is really helpful. I will be getting some nymphs on Thurs. At what age/size are they breedable and is there a way to sex them (Im assuming only males have wings?)

water crystal (left is dry, right is when wet):
water_crystal_dry_wet.jpg

the crystal absorbs water and it turn into gel that roaches can eat as water resource. We prefer using those to avoid drowning in crix and roaches when given an actual water.

Setup for roaches:
http://www.blapticadubia.com/dubiainfo.html

Male Dubia (Left) Female Dubia (R):
Dubia%20Roaches.jpg

im looking at roach supplies and some include a 10x10 screen. What would this be used for?

probably for the top to prevent any male dubia roaches escaping.
in rare cases, people have seen them fly.

In all honesty, I have never experienced it. But, some members here have.

but its only 10x10.. so Im assuming that a rather small container they are expecting you keep them in. I saw someone had them in a garbage can. Im assuming most use rubbermaid tubs or tupperware?

Back
Top Bottom