Keeping my chameleons outside

Adgbop

So I've been thinking about keeping my chams outside yr round or most of the year (I'm in orange county) so the weather should be okay? My chams have alqays been indoors. So what would I need to change up in order to keep them outside? Would I need to still use uvb? What about dusting with d3? And everything else there is to know? Any and all help would be appreciated :D:cool:

Let's see if I don't forget something important!

- You will no longer need D3 or UVB if the chameleons are getting a mix of direct and indirect sunlight all day. Plain calcium and vitamins is enough.

- You will need to make sure that the cages are safe from any wild animals and the weather. Make sure they are tied down so they can't be knocked over by the wind or animals. And I wouldn't put them where they are in direct, glaring sun all day long.

- Provide them with lots of water when temperatures get high. Having an automatic mister or a sprinkler system will be a must, for those hot days where you just aren't home to mist them every so often. Definitely have some form of monitoring the temperatures, so you can adjust.

- Provide plant cover, so they can retreat into thicker shade when they want to.

Unless I forgot something though my allergic haze, these are the important things to keep in mind.

Let's see if I don't forget something important!

- You will no longer need D3 or UVB if the chameleons are getting a mix of direct and indirect sunlight all day. Plain calcium and vitamins is enough.

- You will need to make sure that the cages are safe from any wild animals and the weather. Make sure they are tied down so they can't be knocked over by the wind or animals. And I wouldn't put them where they are in direct, glaring sun all day long.

- Provide them with lots of water when temperatures get high. Having an automatic mister or a sprinkler system will be a must, for those hot days where you just aren't home to mist them every so often. Definitely have some form of monitoring the temperatures, so you can adjust.

- Provide plant cover, so they can retreat into thicker shade when they want to.

Unless I forgot something though my allergic haze, these are the important things to keep in mind.

Okay great info! Thanks a lot and you say no more uvb? They will be in the shade most the day so would it hurt to have the uvb? I feel like I'm not thinking of all the factors? :confused: what are other things I need to take into consideration guys? !

I'm also in Orange County. I don't have a lot of room to keep my chameleons outside but in the past I have kept a couple outside full-time. They did very well, the Jackson's loved it and a couple older veileds got more energy and color than I had seen in them in a long time.

I didn't use UVB lights as they had a few hours of sunlight daily and Olimpia's advice covers everything I can think of. I would have a plan to bring them in if it gets super hot or really cold extremes but that is usually only a few days a year, if any.

I'm also in Orange County. I don't have a lot of room to keep my chameleons outside but in the past I have kept a couple outside full-time. They did very well, the Jackson's loved it and a couple older veileds got more energy and color than I had seen in them in a long time.

I didn't use UVB lights as they had a few hours of sunlight daily and Olimpia's advice covers everything I can think of. I would have a plan to bring them in if it gets super hot or really cold extremes but that is usually only a few days a year, if any.

Okay cool cause I'm thinking about having them outside fulltime. Do you think young chameleons would be okay outside fulltime or would you say only adults?

All chameleons do better outside if appropriate conditions are available.

Its different, its easier than it first seems, just be thorough.

If they escape in your house, theyre in your house. If they escape outside, theyre...outside.

You can lock a cat out of a room in your house, its much more difficult to keep a raccoon out of an outdoor enclosure.

So the stakes are a bit higher you might say. The rewards are worth it though.

You have to constantly check for outside feeders making themselves available, but that can be a good thing, or a bad thing.:)

The animals do better, plants do better, and its easier overall.

Save on electricity, bulbs, and supplements.

You dont have to worry as much about drainage or feeder escapes.

You can purchase timers that hook up to your outdoor garden faucet, that have places to run 1/4" lines from them if you arent there to mist during the day.

Use the sturdiest enclosure/setup you can manage, with dense foliage. Like alot.

Youll want tarps handy if it gets too hot, or a strong storm comes.

They get accustomed to it pretty fast, and youll notice a change in them. They do much better outside and its noticable.

All chameleons do better outside if appropriate conditions are available.

Its different, its easier than it first seems, just be thorough.

If they escape in your house, theyre in your house. If they escape outside, theyre...outside.

You can lock a cat out of a room in your house, its much more difficult to keep a raccoon out of an outdoor enclosure.

So the stakes are a bit higher you might say. The rewards are worth it though.

You have to constantly check for outside feeders making themselves available, but that can be a good thing, or a bad thing.:)

The animals do better, plants do better, and its easier overall.

Save on electricity, bulbs, and supplements.

You dont have to worry as much about drainage or feeder escapes.

You can purchase timers that hook up to your outdoor garden faucet, that have places to run 1/4" lines from them if you arent there to mist during the day.

Use the sturdiest enclosure/setup you can manage, with dense foliage. Like alot.

Youll want tarps handy if it gets too hot, or a strong storm comes.

They get accustomed to it pretty fast, and youll notice a change in them. They do much better outside and its noticable.

Wow thanks a lot! Yeah I figured after getting all set up it would be easier in a way. I'm not really worried about predators my dog will take care of them :D but what would my supplementing have to be like once they are outside?

I usually put at least some of my chams outside in the summer. I live in PA and with montane species, I have had them outside from mid-April into October if the weather is ok. If it gets blisteringly hot in July and August, I will bring them in. I had a melleri that would watch everytime someone went out the patio door. She LOVED it outside all summer long. And she got misted with the hose frequently. I have one of those wand-type misters that attached to the hose.

Back
Top Bottom