Keeping Enclosure heat UP, with ac running??

Rocky27

Unfortunately I cannot really move the cage, so that is not an option. I was curious if people have figured out any hacks on keeping their chameleon's temp up, while running the ac to keep the rest of the family cool and happy?? Im currently blocking the front half of his cage with a black cloth place mat to help block the ac out (seems to be helping actually)...has any one come up with better ideas?? Thanks again
Screen cage; 16x16x30 (eagerly waiting for his new combo enclosure to arrive end of June)
3-4 mo old jackson chameleon

You shouldn't have the enclosure near a vent where air blows into the cage. That's an RI waiting to happen. Otherwise, just use a basking bulb or ceramic heater on thermostat. Jackson's are montane's and need high humidity, a dried out cage with AC is going to cause problems.

What I would do, have a solid sides enclosure, especially on the side where the ac is blowing, and then make sure to mist plenty and fog at night to keep humidity up. While utilizing the basking/ceramic for warmth.

Its not blowing in (just in same room), and Ive maintained the humidity just fine (mistking) and I constantly check and will manually mist if it is not up to par. I just got nervous when I saw the temperature start to drop a couple degrees. Again, having the place mat cover seems to help, just curious if any one came up with something better. Thanks for the quick response though :) totally appreciate it!

What I would do, have a solid sides enclosure, especially on the side where the ac is blowing, and then make sure to mist plenty and fog at night to keep humidity up. While utilizing the basking/ceramic for warmth.
I do have a combo enclosure on the way, I was told it should be shipped by mid June (anxiously waiting on that) lol, it will perfect for my little dude and our type of weather. Ac doesn't run unless we are home, so humidity stays up just fine with the mistking on a timer...I had to serran wrap a couple sides to keep the humidity up, thats why I can't wait for his new home to be ready! (y) I'll definitely get the ceramic heater if temp does happen drop too low though, so thanks again!

Gotcha, just wanted to make sure. Sounds fine then. So what are the temps?
back up to 80, I think I just got a little nervous when I saw it get to 72...sorry to bother!! I just love my little dude and the PNW weather can make things tricky with chameleons

With our ac now being on, as well as adding natural plants, I had to up mistings to a more normal run time and quickly had to battle keeping the tenps up but was very happy with the difference in humidity levels. What did help a lot was just adding a 2nd heat light that was a very low red colored light (the pet store sold this as his nite time heat lamp -_-) but it's kept day temps great now.

Our ac vent is closed in Guses room, but one of the walls to this room opens, so maintaining a different temp in there is difficult.

Back
Top Bottom