Keeping crickets alive?

Andie

Avid Member
Hi All. I have a 2 part question:

About a week or so ago, I got a shipment of 500 1/16th crickets from Gahn's.

I put them in a very large, plastic storage container. I put in fresh veggies, with dark, leafy greens, cricket crack, etc....Also some Flukers for a water source. (and egg crate to crawl on)

However, I discovered mold growing in there and it spread quickly. How does one prevent this? I really want to help these crickets last a long time.

I'm feeding 2 little hatchlings, and I know they eat a lot. They're eating crickets, fruit flies, bean beetles, Indian sticks, stable flies, phoenix worms, etc...

At this age (8wks & 6wks), how many crickets can they eat? In other words, How long should I expect 500 crickets to last for 2 babies at this age?

Mold can build up for many reasons. If something like the egg crate is damp or wet and never dries up that could attract mold, also left behind food and feces. If you clean the bin once in a while you could prevent it from growing mold. However I have no experience with flukers so I have no Idea if they can be some what of a reason. My feeders get their water from fruit/veggies and sometimes some misting on the walls

I can't help you with the second question but 500 crickets will keep your babies fed for a good while if I'm not mistaken :)

make sure your container has plenty of ventilation, cut out the sides and hot glue metal screen. Don't use fiberglass mesh they can eat through that, also lining the bottom with paper towel helps absorb some moisture, and they eat a lot so be ready to order more soon :D

Suzi,
When I ordered from Ghann's the crickets came in a really nice box, fitted with mesh sides. I'm wondering if I could (should) have just left them in there. I think the cardboard would have lasted long enough. Thoughts?

Personally, I don't use the fluker's water crystals (that's what I'm assuming you're using). The crickets would get plenty of moisture from a lot of the foods you give them (apples have a lot of water, I throw some in with their carrots and their greens and it eliminates the need for separate water crystals). Those crystals created problems with mold for me in the past, and that could be the issue, along with poor ventilation. The boxes they're shipped in are usually really small, and they would start to die off quickly because of overcrowding if you kept them in there. Best thing is to get like an 18gallon plastic tub and cut up the lid, add screen to it etc. I like to open the container at least once a day and let it air out on my balcony as well. I check about every 2-3 days for any rotting/molding food and remove it immediately.

This might sound weird but i have a small tubberware lid that I put a mix of veggies and fruits on them with a little of the water crystals (if your veggies and such are fresh they should have enough water. I leave the food in there for about 1/2 the day then i throw the remaining stuff out. Walmart has a clear container that the crickets can not crawl up on so I leave the lid off to give them a lot more air (before mine were dying too).
Its pretty easy if you do not leave the food in there and you give them a lot of air (dont put them near the sun).

I keep all my crickets in a "Cricket Keeper" and I feed them carrots, dandelion leaves, lettuce, and other fruit and vegetables!

Thank you, everyone, for all the great ideas. I also have a cricket keeper, but didn't have good luck with that.

I'm expecting a new shipment of 500 crickets this week. Planning to implement some of these ideas.

Suzi,
When I ordered from Ghann's the crickets came in a really nice box, fitted with mesh sides. I'm wondering if I could (should) have just left them in there. I think the cardboard would have lasted long enough. Thoughts?

That box is not sufficient for long term, the most successful method that has worked for me is using a decent sized plastic container with lid with cut out screen windows for proper ventilation, and as others have mentioned, keeping it clean with fresh food and either paper towels lined at the bottom or substrate like sand or vermiculite.

Can anyone tell me where to find vermiculite?

Also, how long does it take crickets to grow? If I properly feed them, will they get bigger so they'll be large enough as my babies grow?

I have to order 1000 crickets in order to get them in time. UGH!

Thanks guys!:D

Can anyone tell me where to find vermiculite?

Also, how long does it take crickets to grow? If I properly feed them, will they get bigger so they'll be large enough as my babies grow?

I have to order 1000 crickets in order to get them in time. UGH!

Thanks guys!:D

You an get vermiculite at home depot or any garden center or feed store, with proper container and ventilation paper towel works fine though, it takes a cricket 6 weeks to reach full grown, that is there life span

Try to keep everything dry. Don't let the egg crate get wet. Remove uneaten food. Clean out frass. Even doing all the above, you need good ventilation and heat to keep it from getting too damp.

If you want a long-lived feeder, you should check into dubia roaches. I started off with crickets, but I disliked them for so many reasons. They only live for three months. Dubias will last for a year plus. I get mine at http://discountdubias.com/

Back
Top Bottom