Keeping Chameleons outside during the summer.

Owlco

Hi there I live in Canada, and when the summer time temperatures roll around I am thinking of making a flower pot outside enclosure for my chameleon. I was also planning on having him outside for most of the day, even if its raining.

I just wanted to know what kind of outside routine you guys have for your chameleons, and for certain weather conditions.

Thanks! :)

I don't have a permenant outdoor enclosure, but i would just give him lots of foliage, places for shade, hiding, etc.

We had the same thought, a big plant. But we've got three cats, so we know we have to keep an close eye on this.

Regarding temps, we hit 20C today with the sun, but that will drop as soon as the sun starts to set.

This may not help because we are in Southern California but we get our panthers outside any day they can be in the sun that is forcast 70 degrees F or higher up to 90. We also extended our misting system to our outdoor cages. We use standard screen cages but are in an area with very little wildlife.

This may not help because we are in Southern California but we get our panthers outside any day they can be in the sun that is forcast 70 degrees F or higher up to 90. We also extended our misting system to our outdoor cages. We use standard screen cages but are in an area with very little wildlife.
Hi I've been wanting to keep my Chams outdoors I'm also in socal. Do you keep them outdoors at night as well?

No, only during the day. We do have cats and raccoons around and we have not reinforced the cages. I also think It can get too cold at night in Long Beach.

You can keep Chameleons outside in Southern California depending on the type of chameleon and your location. Montanes like Jacksons do very well outside and can be kept outside year round. It's very important to have an automatic misting system in place and have the ability to increase misting duration and frequency. It's best to have a good amount of foliage in the cage so as to provide a kind of micro climate. Provide shade, I use shade cloth during parts of the summer and on really hot days I put towels on top of cages and saturate them with water. You really need pay close attention to the weather and even if you do you know the weatherman is often wrong and is sucks to be somewhere else on a really hot day and not have things set up properly.

And thanks everyone, ill probably try and get my Cham outside when the weathers nice, and if im home during the day!

@Action Jackson what day/night temperatures are you getting in your area. I've been afraid the afternoons would be too hot for my montane. I like the wet towel idea. I'm adding a mister outdoors but afternoons in my area are already over 85˚F under my patio cover.

Back
Top Bottom