Keeping Chameleons on Porch?

MatthewTran

Hi, I was thinking of letting my chameleons out for a few hours a day. while I clean their cages, however I was wondering if they still get uvb in the shade?

I don't have anywhere safe to put them in the sun, so I am just wondering if being in the shade on my porch is beneficial at all or if they need direct sunlight.

They seem to like it, so I was thinking of maybe letting them stay outdoors for a couple days a week.

Thank you.

They get more UV outside in the shade than they do under the UVB light but if the porch is screened in the UV might be lower.

Awesome!

Thank you very much! They sure do love being outside!

Can the porch be a permanent home during good weather?

where do you live? If you are going to house them all summer or during good weather on a patio then you will have to provide some type of uvb light unless you have sun coming in there all day long.

where do you live? If you are going to house them all summer or during good weather on a patio then you will have to provide some type of uvb light unless you have sun coming in there all day long.

Why would the sun need to come in all day for uv if they are outside? Just curious

I just meant if it is an enclosed porch then the sun would need to shine in at some point for uvb. Right? I guess I did not mean all day along. Rereading the post he said it is just for a few hours anyways while he cleans the cage so those few hours are not going to matter one way another. I am just saying if you are going to house an animal in an enlcosed patio you have to provide some form of uvb. If the sun never shines in, then you would need a light I would think.

Yea if you want to permanently house him under the porch (im assuming the porch is covered) then you will need to provide a UVB light.

Regardless of whether he gets sun from the sides at some point in the day, most of the time chams like to be high, basking where they feel safe.

So wherever you provide the heat lamp, you should also provide the UVB light.

The patio is not screened or anything, but it is shaded for most of the day.

I think at some point during the day probably in the morning and evening there is some direct sunlight.

They seem to like it, so I was thinking of maybe letting them stay outdoors a couple of times a week.

Here is a picture

t5rpzm.jpg

I just meant if it is an enclosed porch then the sun would need to shine in at some point for uvb. Right? I guess I did not mean all day along. Rereading the post he said it is just for a few hours anyways while he cleans the cage so those few hours are not going to matter one way another. I am just saying if you are going to house an animal in an enlcosed patio you have to provide some form of uvb. If the sun never shines in, then you would need a light I would think.

I wasn't thinking enclose. We read it differently ;)

Ooohhh..yea in this case...totally fine to keep them outside....Just make sure no one runs off with your cages.

Ooohhh..yea in this case...totally fine to keep them outside....Just make sure no one runs off with your cages.

LOL! okay thanks, yeah I need to figure out a way to maybe chain down the cages or something.

Also, I live in Las Vegas, NV. Most of the time the weather is in the low-mid 80's, but sometimes it can get up to the low 90's.

If the cage is in the shade and I provide water every hour or so, will the temps be okay?

Umm...Las Vegas..depends how long they are in direct light for...Chams can only regulate temps by moving out of the temperature.

If he sits in the sun, he continuously gets hotter until it changes.

You should consider getting one of these....I got one like 2 years ago and it works perfectly...its a laser pointer temperature guage. Point and shoot.. $20

http://www.harborfreight.com/infrar...-782A-E011-B31E-001B2163195C&mr:referralID=NA

Just make sure, when it is direct sunlight, you offer shade on the other side of the cage so if he wants to cool down.

I can see the street from your porch and that would totally concern me especially if you thought about leaving them out all night. Not just animal predators but people predators! You can chain the cage, but they could easily cut the screen or open the door and steal your chameleon. Me, I would never chance it!

I can see the street from your porch and that would totally concern me especially if you thought about leaving them out all night. Not just animal predators but people predators! You can chain the cage, but they could easily cut the screen or open the door and steal your chameleon. Me, I would never chance it!

That is true, it is easy to steal them.

My bedroom is right by the door and I live in a pretty safe neighborhood, I think they will be safe. I may try it for a day and see how the temps are and how they handle it.

Thanks all!

Yay another person that lives in Vegas :D! Temps are rising quickly out here and it's supposed to be in the 90's Friday-Sunday. How old are your chams and what species? If they are older veileds or panthers than that would be fine to leave them out in the shade all day with lots of mistings to cool them down and so they can drink. Younger chams would benefit from being outside early in the morning when it's cool and the late afternoon like around 6:00.

Vegas? I used to live in vegas and in my memory it was like opening an oven when going out back even at night. Humidity? none. Lol Dry heat not so bad? yeah like the inside of a kiln is not so bad. unless you live on a patio above the bellagio water display... well. :D

Back
Top Bottom