Keeping cham no UVB through winter

I did fine with sticky tongue farms indoor and almost zero UVB for years with vields in the 1990's. You just use it every dusting. repashy LOD + D3 or what ever is even higher with D3.

RepCal D3+ 400,000 IU/kg
Flukers Reptacalcium 100,000 IU/lb
Exoterra 14,740 IU/lb
ZooMed ReptiCalcium 22,907 IU/kg
Mineral -indoor 2000ui per kg
Repashy calcium plus LoD 8,000 IU/lb or 20,000 ui/kg

Very helpful, my LOD might even be expired, I think I got it around a year ago.... I kept it in the fridge in a airtight jar(not sure if that helps). Not sure what the use by is...

Yeah I really like these... THey come with mounting hardware you could use to hang it https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/t5-uvb-light-fixture.html

I have a few fixtures like that, but they weren't working for some reason. I might end up just doing that. I think the d3 supplementation could work very well, but I do get worried about over/under doing it. The sticky tongues indoor only being 2000iu might be a safe bet, but ahhh who knows for sure

Very helpful, my LOD might even be expired, I think I got it around a year ago.... I kept it in the fridge in a airtight jar(not sure if that helps). Not sure what the use by is...

sticky shelf is 3 years unrefrigerated. But they say if you mix min and vit they degrade much faster vs separate bottles.

Well first of all that is a theory, but I wouldn't doubt it. That was my thinking as well when I brumated my guy. I think there are extremes to it though. Mine was seeing pretty low temps for 4-6 months. I still plan on(pretty much unavoidable) having seasonal changes(lower temps, shorter days, little less water), but I'm not going as low as I was before.

Another thing, I see so many Parsons keepers that have them to almost 300 grams before 2 years old. I can't imagine they're brumating them if that's the case, so it doesn't seem terribly uncommon to skip it. Many respected keepers do not put theirs through it.

Growing a Calumma parsonii parsonii to fast can be a problem as well. A growth rate that is not natural can be unhealthy. Give your Calumma parsonii ssp. the best conditions for what you can provide is the most any capable keeper can expect.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Many people with parsons do not always brumate them, I'm not even sure what you're trying to say TBH. Humans supplement with d3 when they don't get sunlight, don't see why it's not possible*(note I said possible, as in I don't know the exact method for this, but maybe someone out there has experience with it). Supplementing d3 isn't anymore unnatural than providing it with a lightbulb. Overall I'd agree though, I'd like to get a light up there, but if I can get him in the sun enough+some vitamins then i see no reason for it being a problem. Sunlight>uvb no? Just comes down to how much sun it would take.
My point
Is rhat in the wintertime, when they tend to be lethargic and rest regardless you expose them to comditions when theybxan brummate or not, a bringing in and oit I would not consider wise.
Yoi asked fir opinion, I say it.

We of course can di unnatoral things if rhe natiral
Ones are unavailable or not efficient enough to ensure their welfare, no doubt.

My point
Is rhat in the wintertime, when they tend to be lethargic and rest regardless you expose them to comditions when theybxan brummate or not, a bringing in and oit I would not consider wise.
Yoi asked fir opinion, I say it.

We of course can di unnatoral things if rhe natiral
Ones are unavailable or not efficient enough to ensure their welfare, no doubt.

Bringing in and out of brumation or the house?

Back
Top Bottom