Keeping a panther outside

jc31

I was thinking about keeping my panther chameleon outside, until summer time. but I'm curious about a few things. Any help would be appreciated.

First off, I live in Sacramento California. The weather this time of year can range between 45 degrees overnight and 85 degrees during the day. During the summer it can get north of 100 degrees but if that's too hot I'll bring him inside. He does have plenty of foliage for shade.

Is 45 degrees overight too cold?
How much should I increase his misting cycle?
Outside of birds, are there any other dangers? Cats or insects that could be harmful. (He'll be in his cage)

Thanks for the help.

I think many people will tell you that 45 degrees F is a bit too cold for a low. I think the lowest safe drop is to 50 for a panther. You could do it with a montane no problem, but I'd be concerned about a panther. I know there are a few keepers in Central and Northern Cali that keep their chams outside, but not sure if that's panthers. Hopefully they will give you some input too.

As for predators, I've heard some devastating stories about rats so you'll need to proof the cage for that. They can easily chew through screen and some wire. I would also worry about cats, larger birds like Ravens and raptors, snakes, and possibly racoons or possums. Also consider the occasional high winds that can blow a cage over. Plenty of people keep their chams outside, you just need to set things up a little differently and reinforce against those things.

I'm familiar with the weather in your area and I wonder if there is too much fluctuation. I know those summer days will definitely be too hot. Let's see what others think.

too cold at 45 for panther

I totally agree with all the warnings werecat just mentioned. Especially the fluctuation thing. Also, I know the Sac area. It gets colder than 45 degrees at night sometimes and can be prone to frosts during winter. Don't do it. Wait till spring.
If you were in a coastal location where it is more moderate I would say it is OK.
Good luck, Greg

In regards to the weather. You would just need to keep an eye on the weather report. If its looking like it will get to cold, bring them in, same thing with the heat. I would venture to say most everyone that keeps chams outside, have cages inside for all of them.

I have been keeping my panthers outside since january, i live in tijuana mexico, near the san diego california area, the temp has gone down to the low 40's, i do it because in december i lost a cham outside, it took me about 2 weeks to find it, i basically knew where it was, but it was a lot of bushes to look through, lol, anyways he made it through really cold nights, 40-45 degrees, this is an ambilobe, he is 9 months old, so i would say they can take those temps, btw, he is not making any clicking noises, no mocus, no ri, or anything before i start recieving hate mail, jk, lol

Sana

I was thinking about keeping my panther chameleon outside, until summer time. but I'm curious about a few things. Any help would be appreciated.

First off, I live in Sacramento California. The weather this time of year can range between 45 degrees overnight and 85 degrees during the day. During the summer it can get north of 100 degrees but if that's too hot I'll bring him inside. He does have plenty of foliage for shade.

Is 45 degrees overight too cold?
How much should I increase his misting cycle?
Outside of birds, are there any other dangers? Cats or insects that could be harmful. (He'll be in his cage)

Thanks for the help.

45 is getting close on the cold side. Low 50's for the report is safer, as sometimes the reporters are wrong by a few degrees and at 45, that could be deadly. 100 is also a little hot. I usually move mine back inside if it gets above 90. As I live in Salt Lake City now, they usually only spend the late spring and early fall outdoors.
For predators, raccoons are the biggest worry here, and probably there, but it is not too hard to make your cage raccoon resistant. The birds don't mess with the cages, same with cats. If he was outside without a cage, then birds and cats become a real issue.

Back
Top Bottom