Keeping 2 chameleons together in a 3270 gallon enclosure

Even just being able to see each other will stress them out, and if that’s all of the time, you’re subjecting them to chronic stress which can greatly lower their immune systems.
If you look at videos of males fighting in the wild, often one will fall or drop off the branch. While they may not get injured on a natural forest floor, I would imagine a drop onto concrete will result in risk of injury.

It's such a waste to dedicate such a huge enclosure for chameleons, as others have stated a completely solitary species, get some colonial reptile species, agamas, anoles, curly tails, among many other species.

You could even mix species as you have so much room to work with.

Heck you could set up a pair of iguanas.

I wouldn't Chameleons being housed together is very rarely tolerable and please post a pic of the tank so I can see if it is enough airflow
The room is the tank.. (y) The conversion to gallons is a little interesting and can be confusing but I find it interesting. Just like the term "free roam". All of our chameleons have free roam within their enclosures unless some owners tie them down. Even the term "Free Range" is an interpretation, since usually there is a top and a bottom with sides ( unless there are no sides and a barrier they can't get over), just a bigger enclosure. WOW! to much coffee today my brain is working overtime. Sorry! :unsure:

It's such a waste to dedicate such a huge enclosure for chameleons, as others have stated a completely solitary species, get some colonial reptile species, agamas, anoles, curly tails, among many other species.

You could even mix species as you have so much room to work with.

Heck you could set up a pair of iguanas.
If they wanted chameleons I’d go for a bigger species. Could house a parsons/mellers easily in there.

Luckily they are pretty evenly matched in strength rn so Im hoping that will prevent either one from harassing the other.
On the contrary. With different sizes, one will bully the other, whereas evenly matched opponents might feel/issue a challenge for dominance.

Keeping Chameleons Together (Article)​

Keeping Chameleons Together (Podcast & Transcript)​

COHABITATION (Article)​

cohabiting chameleons (Google search)

It sounds like a great space (roughly 7½ ft. cube) but I agree with the consensus—due to their natures, most chameleon species should not be cohabited or even allowed within sight of each other.

The problem with setting up "walls" is that they can be gotten/seen around unless part of a proper enclosure (and even then in some cases). Also, walls in the wrong places may block the natural sunshine, which kind of defeats the purpose of using this room.

I like Persnickety Parson's idea of an anole commune! (A pipe dream since my first anole as a kid. 😁)

I also agree with ElliotG that it would be a great space (enclosure) for a single Meller's/Parson's.

redhorse, speed kills! ;)

All that said, there are a few chameleon species that can cohabit, but currently that's beyond my ken, and TMK best left to very experienced keepers.

Whatever is decided, IMO more plants are needed... MANY MANY more live plants! (y)
(I'd start with a tuckfon... :rolleyes: ) Bigger, taller, higher, bushier, plantier. 🤓
Think: Conservatory (with the Candlestick by Colonel Mustard! 🕵️‍♂️)

Straw mats on the floor might help with falls (even for solitary denizens).

If you could supply us with a floorplan (with dimensions to the nearest inch), showing doors, windows, sun exposure, etc. we might be able to suggest some options.

How long should it be before theyre comfortable enough to come running for their food like that video? or are those ladies just really hungry?
Could be either—they're all individuals. The chams in the video are juveniles—I'd guess something less than 3 mo. old.

Some may come running; others may never do. Mine used to come running for his feeder cup when I dumped crickets into it; now he ignores the food and comes running to my arm/hand to get a lift out and onto the Missus' plant table.

Trust takes time & patience to build. My SWAG is days to weeks to a few months, but again, they're all different/individuals.

If they wanted chameleons I’d go for a bigger species. Could house a parsons/mellers easily in there.
I made a to scale diagram of the birds eye view and the profile of the enclosure, each square represents 6 in. The gray part of the wall represents the screen that provides their ventilation and sunlight from sunrise to just before noon, the yellow lines represent the basking lamps. the wall next to the sliding glass door is all glass. The black box is my cricket enclosure

My current plan is to hang a shower curtain from the ceiling to divide the screened area in 2. Then I will use velcro to secure it to the screen. The only way for the chams to see each other or reach one another would be to walk around on the concrete which they refuse to do. Then I will move the hanging plant and hang another one on the other side and add a floor plant and put 2 on each side.

One question that came to mind is will males chase females of different species? I dont know if they would want to/be able to mate and what if the female is substantially larger?

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 11.11.31 PM.png

On the contrary. With different sizes, one will bully the other, whereas evenly matched opponents might feel/issue a challenge for dominance.

Keeping Chameleons Together (Article)​

Keeping Chameleons Together (Podcast & Transcript)​

COHABITATION (Article)​

cohabiting chameleons (Google search)

It sounds like a great space (roughly 7½ ft. cube) but I agree with the consensus—due to their natures, most chameleon species should not be cohabited or even allowed within sight of each other.

The problem with setting up "walls" is that they can be gotten/seen around unless part of a proper enclosure (and even then in some cases). Also, walls in the wrong places may block the natural sunshine, which kind of defeats the purpose of using this room.

I like Persnickety Parson's idea of an anole commune! (A pipe dream since my first anole as a kid. 😁)

I also agree with ElliotG that it would be a great space (enclosure) for a single Meller's/Parson's.

redhorse, speed kills! ;)

All that said, there are a few chameleon species that can cohabit, but currently that's beyond my ken, and TMK best left to very experienced keepers.

Whatever is decided, IMO more plants are needed... MANY MANY more live plants! (y)
(I'd start with a tuckfon... :rolleyes: ) Bigger, taller, higher, bushier, plantier. 🤓
Think: Conservatory (with the Candlestick by Colonel Mustard! 🕵️‍♂️)

Straw mats on the floor might help with falls (even for solitary denizens).

If you could supply us with a floorplan (with dimensions to the nearest inch), showing doors, windows, sun exposure, etc. we might be able to suggest some options.

Could be either—they're all individuals. The chams in the video are juveniles—I'd guess something less than 3 mo. old.

Some may come running; others may never do. Mine used to come running for his feeder cup when I dumped crickets into it; now he ignores the food and comes running to my arm/hand to get a lift out and onto the Missus' plant table.

Trust takes time & patience to build. My SWAG is days to weeks to a few months, but again, they're all different/individuals.

Check out the diagram I made.

Back
Top Bottom