Keeping 2 chameleons together in a 3270 gallon enclosure

bberry820

I have two juvenile male veiled chameleons that weigh 0.95 and 1.15 oz. I live in southwest Florida and they free roam on my completely screened in porch/balcony that I have turned into a reptile enclosure. The space is 437 cubic feet which equates to roughly a 3270 gallon tank. I have one hanging plant (Philodendron), and three floor plants each about 3 feet tall (mass cane, ficus lyrata, phoenix robelenii). I have a double hose mister that runs periodically on a timer throughout the day, which I will move throughout the day depending on where they are. They get natural sunlight from sunrise to about 11:45, after that I turn on 2 overhead basking lamps (with UV a+b light) that I can position to shine at the various plants.

For the most part they tend to stay away from each other, before I hung the hanging plant they each had their own plant (large in ficus, small in robelenii) until the larger one kicked his brother out and they swapped plants. Now I have the smaller one in the hanging plant and the larger one gets all three floor plants which he moves between. The larger one just discovered the hanging plant and I have to monitor him to make sure he doesn't climb up and stress out the smaller guy. Im planning on hanging 2 more plants and getting another robelenii so there is more plant space. I also plan on getting more hoses and lights so each plant gets mist and UV.

That being said, do you think I could introduce 1-2 more chams of the same size into the enclosure. With 4 floor plants, 3 hanging plants, plenty of light and moisture, and a large space I feel like they should have enough personal space. I hand feed them so they wont be stealing each others' food . I'm just not sure what the carrying capacity of the enclosure is. Also any advice and critiques for my enclosure is much appreciated.

Attachments

• 3079AC0C-F26A-4AC6-9F37-B008BE9C4F94.JPG
    3079AC0C-F26A-4AC6-9F37-B008BE9C4F94.JPG
    322.9 KB · Views: 157
  • EB445FE2-0430-4F02-8950-ECDD06C95DC6.JPG
    EB445FE2-0430-4F02-8950-ECDD06C95DC6.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 158
IN male adult land, if adult one is is in free range 3ft wide hibiscus 1, and adult 2 is in 3ft wide hibiscus 15ft away across the room, One will make the great journey across to room just to mess with the other one. If they see another male, and he is within traveling distance, hes going to make sure who is boss.

That being said if you have a 7.6ft cube, you can still sub divide it into some pretty big cages. All you would need is some more screen and some shower curtains.

I don’t think I would keep them together but some others will share their opinions if you do keep one or two chams or whatever u decide I think u should get like two more trees some good ones are
Dracena
Money tree

IN male adult land, if adult one is is in free range 3ft wide hibiscus 1, and adult 2 is in 3ft wide hibiscus 15ft away across the room, One will make the great journey across to room just to mess with the other one. If they see another male, and he is within traveling distance, hes going to make sure who is boss.

That being said if you have a 7.6ft cube, you can still sub divide it into some pretty big cages. All you would need is some more screen and some shower curtains.
What about females with females and females with males. Will they leave each other alone for the most part

What about females with females and females with males. Will they leave each other alone for the most part
Chameleons I’m general just don’t get along and especially during mating season the males will chase females. It also depends on personality some probably stay away more than others but I don’t feel like it’s such a good idea to keep them so close that’s just my personal opinion it’d be an incredible project to have one in such a giant space just remember to get it very heavily planted😉 the neighbors will be very confused on why there’s a jungle in that balcony

I don’t think I would keep them together but some others will share their opinions if you do keep one or two chams or whatever u decide I think u should get like two more trees some good ones are
Dracena
Money tree
I am in the process of getting more plants. I've only had them since the 16th and they stayed in the same plants for the most part but theyre just starting to explore now that they are becoming more comfortable.

I wouldn't keep veileds together in any combination once they are 3 or 4 months old.

Once they are sexually mature, males will harass the females...females will mate and they repel the makes constantly...and although you might do better trying to keep two females together, even that causes them stress.

In the wild they can move away from each other when stressed by the other's presence...but in captivity they can only move so far and can be followed.

Chameleons I’m general just don’t get along and especially during mating season the males will chase females. It also depends on personality some probably stay away more than others but I don’t feel like it’s such a good idea to keep them so close that’s just my personal opinion it’d be an incredible project to have one in such a giant space just remember to get it very heavily planted😉 the neighbors will be very confused on why there’s a jungle in that balcony
My initial thought in getting 2 was that they're introverts and that with enough space they will avoid each other but I didn't realize they will go after one another. Im now thinking I have to build a wall to separate them into different sides. I can tell the neighbors are starting to notice, they probably think i'm a crazy guy who talks to plants

It would be a great accomplishment if they do not go after each other. Even in the HUGE wild, males fight. Just when you think everything is okay. BAM!!! Heck, they try everything to get at their reflection. There is a video of about 10 plus eating when someone put out a container of superworms but I think they are just big young ones. 6 to 8 months is when the party begins.. Good Luck!

found it--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpV_Z85DyqQ looking at it most if not all are female---not 100%

I wouldn't keep veileds together in any combination once they are 3 or 4 months old.

Once they are sexually mature, males will harass the females...females will mate and they repel the makes constantly...and although you might do better trying to keep two females together, even that causes them stress.

In the wild they can move away from each other when stressed by the other's presence...but in captivity they can only move so far and can be followed.
My next project will be to build a wall to separate them. In the mean time I will keep them apart as much as I can. Luckily they are pretty evenly matched in strength rn so Im hoping that will prevent either one from harassing the other. when they are in their plants they cant see each other but sometimes I will pick them both up and put them together on my arm so they are aware of each other.

My next project will be to build a wall to separate them. In the mean time I will keep them apart as much as I can. Luckily they are pretty evenly matched in strength rn so Im hoping that will prevent either one from harassing the other. when they are in their plants they cant see each other but sometimes I will pick them both up and put them together on my arm so they are aware of each other.
That’s definitely not a good idea getting them close but I mean it doesn’t have to be anything fancy shower curtains can do as long as they can’t go into each others space chameleons atent just introverts they are real bullies especially when trying to impress the ladies even if no ladies are around you know just in case for them

Lizards will fight to the death no matter strength. They’re little gladiators, be super careful.

It would be a great accomplishment if they do not go after each other. Even in the HUGE wild, males fight. Just when you think everything is okay. BAM!!! Heck, they try everything to get at their reflection. There is a video of about 10 plus eating when someone put out a container of superworms but I think they are just big young ones. 6 to 8 months is when the party begins.. Good Luck!

found it--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpV_Z85DyqQ looking at it most if not all are female---not 100%
That video is awesome those are almost the exact same size as mine. Im surprised they came to food that fast, mine dont move like that yet because they are still new to their environment. The smaller one I feed by hand every day to try and build trust. If Im in a rush I will put them in his plant and he will hunt, I havent seen any crickets escape so im sure he gets them all. The bigger one is much more scared of me and wont eat in front of me, I have to put the crickets in a container like the video and leave him alone for a bit. How long should it be before theyre comfortable enough to come running for their food like that video? or are those ladies just really hungry?

We are being nice a few others will not be so kind. haha They don't have to be together to be stressed. They just have to see the other one.

In the video the owner probable raised a group together and the males (if there are any) are still young. I would not recommend, but have tried. So my experience was lesson learned. no injuries--this was 1995. Never tried housing males together again.

We are being nice a few others will not be so kind. haha They don't have to be together to be stressed. They just have to see the other one.

In the video the owner probable raised a group together and the males (if there are any) are still young. I would not recommend, but have tried. So my experience was lesson learned. no injuries--this was 1995. Never tried housing males together again.
Thats how young my males are and they are from the same clutch. They dont often see each other because they hang out in their own plants and are shaded by leaves but I will separate them by the time they start exploring

Back
Top Bottom