Keep Your Chameleon Plants Alive! - Chameleon Hour

DeremensisBlue

Chameleon Enthusiast
Site Sponsor
This thread is for the general discussion of the blog entry Keep Your Chameleon Plants Alive! - Chameleon Hour. Click that link to see the full post and then come back here for the discussion. You can see the two tabs above labeled “Blog Entry” and “Discussion” and you can toggle between the two up there!
I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please add to the discussion here!

Last edited:
This thread is for the general discussion of the blog entry Keep Your Chameleon Plants Alive! - Chameleon Hour. Click that link to see the full post and then come back here for the discussion. You can see the two tabs above labeled “Blog Entry” and “Discussion” and you can toggle between the two up there!
I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please add to the discussion here!
With folks springing for solarmeters left, right and center, it’s worthwhile considering a considerably cheaper Par meter for our foliar friends. I have found that a decent light meter for measuring PAR is as useful for our plants, as the solar meter is for our chams.

With folks springing for solarmeters left, right and center, it’s worthwhile considering a considerably cheaper Par meter for our foliar friends. I have found that a decent light meter for measuring PAR is as useful for our plants, as the solar meter is for our chams.
And what would be a decent one ? Maybe a link?

I've not watched or listened to the video yet but I've been debating on getting some drip system emitters to add to my mist Kong but I've also debated on getting a different pump and bucket to to add watering to each of my plants

I've not watched or listened to the video yet but I've been debating on getting some drip system emitters to add to my mist Kong but I've also debated on getting a different pump and bucket to to add watering to each of my plants
Having a separate watering system for your plants is a great idea. Hooking a watering system up tot he misting system has the danger of over watering. The misting overhead isn't as big of an issue because pothos gets so full that sometimes very little of that water gets to the soil. But a direct IV to the soil would need to be on a weekly time schedule rather than a daily one. Although each situation wold be different so try it and modify it. You will have the best looking plants here!

Some great live plant tips from Propagated Perfection. Thank you! I also really liked Bill's double pot method. I've never used that technique but will in the future.
I've started the double potting method on about half of my plants in both of my enclosures. It has been super helpful!

Having a separate watering system for your plants is a great idea. Hooking a watering system up tot he misting system has the danger of over watering. The misting overhead isn't as big of an issue because pothos gets so full that sometimes very little of that water gets to the soil. But a direct IV to the soil would need to be on a weekly time schedule rather than a daily one. Although each situation wold be different so try it and modify it. You will have the best looking plants here!
If I remember correctly @nightanole had the genius idea to add an extra misting nozzle to a small reservoir above the cage. The reservoir is dotted with a drip line. This way, when ever it mists, it adds water to the reservoir, which subsequently drips on whichever plants you run a drip line to.

If I remember correctly @nightanole had the genius idea to add an extra misting nozzle to a small reservoir above the cage. The reservoir is dotted with a drip line. This way, when ever it mists, it adds water to the reservoir, which subsequently drips on whichever plants you run a drip line to.

That was for making an extended drip for the chams that wont drink during mistings.

Then again all my plants just god drenched. The potho lived in the catch basin. All the plant pots didnt have drainage bottoms, they just sat in the basin and i put enough gravel at the bottom of the pots so the dirt line was a few inches above the water line. Ive been told this "gravel drainage" is bad, but it worked for me for most house plants.

Grandma aways taught me, water the hanging baskets till water comes out the bottom...

Indispensable! It is crazy the difference in light in varying areas of the cage and you can't tell by just guessing.

Back
Top Bottom